New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be using them for an order and I need to know how safe it is. This question is obviously for anyone who has used Paypal in the past.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its very safe, secure and also well known site.

Paypall has quite some big firms supporting (Read financing) its site. You can trust them 100%.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Paypal itself is safe, but when it comes to fraud, they fail. I sent money to a person for a computer, quite a large sum of money as a matter of fact... I never recieved the computer. When I contacted paypal about this, it took them 5 days just to respond. At that point they said it would take 60 days to complete an investigation, and I MIGHT be able to get the money back. Make sure you know who is on the other side of the transaction, that was my mistake. Paypal work, just not with fraud. Thank
- Chuck

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
did you pay with a credit card.... if you did then take it up with the credit card company....

as far as safe.... my friend has a scanner, he also has the credit card numbers of nearly all his neighbours...... so how safe is your phone line

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Pierre makes a great point!

I tell all my client this: You trust the waiter in you local restuarant enough to give him your CC for 5 minutes, trusting that he won't memorize or take an impression home with him. But, you get all in a panic about sending the same exact information over a SECURE line.

This doesn't make sense. People are just affraid because fraud can happen and the web has this bad stigma that only bad things happen on the web. It is actually MORE SECURE to do business on an SSL site than to do it over the phone or in person. I sign all my CC with "Ask for ID" ... yet only about 5% of the time do people ask for it. However, with the majority of online transactions, your shipping address is compared to your CC address.

Fraud is fraud, and PayPal does not encourage it. In fact, the do everything within their power to discourage fraud. PayPal is nothing more than a medium between two parties wishing to exchange money ... that being said, the other party is the one I would worry about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's exactly the point I was making. I just added that Paypal does a bad job of recovering funds and doing background checks on the people involved in the transaction. The other guy gave them a fake adress and phone number. In the end, you still need to know who your sending money to.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have used paypal for a while now with no problems. I think that if the person you are dealing with is a verified user then you are a little safer. I beleive that there account and address has been verified.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So... What are you saying?
J/K

Thank you everyone for the input. I trust the company, so I'll use Paypal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
OK, I think we've established that PayPal is secure, but does not do a good job of responding to fraud and guaranteeing your money back.

However, if you do want that kind of security, especially when buying expensive items (like somebody's computer) why not use a service like iescrow, which is linked to right from the ForSale forum description on this board. I've never used it before, but the process is laid out here and sounds decent. Probably worth the service fee, whatever it is.

Cheers,
Scott.

P.S. I've used PayPal a couple of times now without incident, and both were "international" purchases, i.e. me in Canada paying for things in the USA in US funds. It's very handy for that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.