New Cougar Forum banner

How NOT to jack up your car...

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  markc 
#1 ·
While doing the st200 rear strut bar install on my car saturday, racerx noticed something that I had not noticed before. Apparently when my snow tires were put on the shop used floor jacks instead of a lift to raise the car and bent my rear control arms. Below are pictures of what happened. All this time, I thought it was the snow tires causing the rear end to be unstable and the alignment being off. I thought with the old tires being almost bald, I must not have noticed the problem as bad. I guess I was wrong. I know for a fact my car was on jacks, I asked to go see it in the garage while the tires were off to inspect my brakes. The problem is, how do I get the shop to take responsibility for what they did? I very well could have done this myself and i'm just trying to blame it on someone...i know this is what they will try and claim. I never have jacked up my own car, and when the resonator delete was done it was a lift that you drive up on, not the kind you drive over top of then pull out and line up.

I have my receipt, and I have pictures....but it's been almost a month now. Anyone have any advice to me for getting this fixed by the shop that did it? Also, lets say I get new control arms....are there better bushings I can have installed on them while they are off?

thanks,

shawn

See less See more
#27 ·
I don't have a pic, but I'll try to explain it to ya Prez. On the sides of the car, just in front of the rear wheels. If you look under the car you will see a vertical rail (the pinchweld). It is about an inch tall about 6-8 inches in from the outside edge of the car and runs all the way from the front wheelwell to the rear wheelwell. If this doesn't help I can try to get a pic for ya.

Edit: I took a pic for you. It is from under the car looking toward the rear.

#33 ·
Same thing happened to me. NTB must of jacked it up wrong when I got new tires mounted because I would never do it that way. I always jack it up with a floor jack on the crossmember right in the middle. Didn't notice what they did till way after. Bought the part from FordParts and it only cost $20. It took 20 minutes to replace only because the bolts were rusty. Otherwise, very easy to fix. Also, I got a 4 wheel alignment because I was due for one anyways with the new tires. Came out to be less than $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.