New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing the st200 rear strut bar install on my car saturday, racerx noticed something that I had not noticed before. Apparently when my snow tires were put on the shop used floor jacks instead of a lift to raise the car and bent my rear control arms. Below are pictures of what happened. All this time, I thought it was the snow tires causing the rear end to be unstable and the alignment being off. I thought with the old tires being almost bald, I must not have noticed the problem as bad. I guess I was wrong. I know for a fact my car was on jacks, I asked to go see it in the garage while the tires were off to inspect my brakes. The problem is, how do I get the shop to take responsibility for what they did? I very well could have done this myself and i'm just trying to blame it on someone...i know this is what they will try and claim. I never have jacked up my own car, and when the resonator delete was done it was a lift that you drive up on, not the kind you drive over top of then pull out and line up.

I have my receipt, and I have pictures....but it's been almost a month now. Anyone have any advice to me for getting this fixed by the shop that did it? Also, lets say I get new control arms....are there better bushings I can have installed on them while they are off?

thanks,

shawn

G

·
I would try talking to them, and see if they will fix your problem. If they say no, then contact the BBB.

Just my $0.02.

/hunter

·
Registered
902 Posts
What is the BBB?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Holy redbeard, if they did that to my car I would totally....I mean TOTALLY freak out!! I hope you can work something out with them...and if they say they've got nothing to do with it then you should sue their ass till your dying days....

Did I say I would totally freak out if that happened to me?

·
Registered
475 Posts
better business buearau, BBB

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dude you need some undercoating before your car rusts out.

Matt

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Redbeard, when I got my tires changed the car seemed to handle different, my ass end swung out around a corner it normally wouldn't and I also didn't feel comfortable at 60-70mph on the highway. Is tthis at all close to what your car has been doing?

It has been a couple of weeks since I had my tires changed, i just figured it was the new tires and maybe I have started driving slower lately because of that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

I went back to the shop yesterday to see what to do about this, and well...i'm not satisfied. I waited for awhile for the owner to show up so he could see the car. He came up with every excuse as to why it couldn't have happened. He said the car isn't heavy enough for that sort of thing to happen, even if it was actually jacked up right on that arm. We both agreed that I couldn't have hit anything to cause it because I would have messed up my exhaust and a few other things too. He also said he talked to the people who worked on my car ( i don't believe it, it was almost a month and all i got was tires....not very memorable IMHO), they said they jacked it up on the sides, just before my rear tires, and tried to say the paint was freshly worn in that very same spot. I of course responded by telling him that I saw my car while it was lifted, and that the jack was sticking out the rear...not the side. Didn't seem to have an answer for that one. His final assessment of what happened is that it looks as though the car was towed at some point, and those are common points that towers use to hook the J-hooks to. I also doubt that because the arms are bent backwards and upwards, if a chain and hooks had that kind of an angle to bend it upwards i'd think it would have hit the bumper and exhaust as well, causing damage. He even offered to let me use any one of his floor jacks I cared to try, so that I could jack the car up by the other arm that's not bent as bad to see if it would bend....claiming that it surely wouldn't. If I wasn't dressed well for work and short on time (lunch hour) I would have done it just to see for sure.

Now the more I think about it, maybe this is something I missed when I looked my car over while on the rack for the resonator delete. Maybe it was done by a wrecker. Or maybe I'm doubting myself. I don't know. What I do know is that he offered one of two things. Either he takes my arms off (both sides) and straightens them in what he said was a 'press,' or I can buy two new arms and he will install them for me. I's of course rather he bought new arms and installed them both but i've gotten this far. I feel i'd have a weaker part if the ones I have were just straightened so i'm not considerign that option. I'm going to price a set of new arms to see what i'm looking at, but i'm still unsure what if anything is left for me to convince this guy to just fix it the way I want.

Ideas people?

thanks,
shawn

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
umm... first off look at the back of your car just in front of the bumper... you see thoses two little hooks on either side.... thoses are your tow hooks that a tow truck would use...

G

·
I work for a dealership and the cleanup shop we were taking are cars to get detailed at was lifting our Mystiques up there and doing exactly what happened to yours. We have repair orders here and the detailer that messed up those control arms would vouch that they look identical as the ones he messed up by jacking these types of vehicles up by those control arms. I wouldn't let that shop get away with it especially if you know they jacked them up from the rear!!! it is about the only place that you can get a jack to lift these vehicles from the back and trust me it is not a good i dea to lift from those points. I know of atleast 4 cars that have had the same thing happen to them from lifting that way Good luck and fight it because i'm pretty sur ethat if they jacked teh car from the rear they did it

G

·
I bent my control arms way back when i was doing my subwoofer and amp. they cost like 38 dollars from the dealer and they are really easy to replace.
The mounting bolts for the control arms that are inner most are these funky adjustment bolts. They have this strange offset axis thing going which is what adjusts for alignment. If, before you loosen these bolts at all, you mark with a straight line from the washer part to your subframe the exact angle that the bolt is at, you may be able to get away with swapping the arms if put the bolts back right without getting a realignment. Otherwise you will have to get an alignment. Also, if you replace the arms yourself, try to get the alignment as close as possible by eye because it will make the ride to the shop for alignment a less crappy experience.
good luck ....this shop sounds like it sucks so you'd prolly save yourself a lot of frustration in just getting it taken care of without their help in any way and never go there again. Some places are just asses and you can't do anything about it really. (try the BBB)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I appreciate the input i've got on this so far. I'm going to print this out and go there so he can read it, then maybe take him up on his offer to try and jack it up myself to see if it bends. Should I make him align it too? The bars are only about 25 bucks too, I just priced them.

Shawn

·
Registered
60 Posts
i know for a fact that it will bend when it is jacked up right there. i had my wheel and i sat there and watched it bend when i was painting my calipers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
OK, i did exactly that one time and learned the hard way. I put the jack in the exact same location as that pictue, and the arm bent very easily, didn't even get the car off the ground. It cost me 200 to get it replaced, because you HAVE to do a 4 wheel alignment after replacing the bar, cause it will be way screwed up. Sorry to say, but if they jacked there, they definately bent it...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Since then I have only jacked the rear of the car on the pinch weld, directly in front of the rear tire. I've had zero problems jack there. I learned my lesson, and don't take any chances anymore. If I can't fit a jack on the pinchweld, or need more height, I use ramps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts