New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, what is the highest shot anybody has used on a stock 2.5?

The reason I ask, is because one of the techs at work wants to see how much the engine can handle. After the first of the year (when I get the bike, make the last payment, and correctly fix the hole in my tranny case) we are going to hit it with either a 150 or 200 shot. He has a set up on his Mustang that he is removing, and we decided that it would be funny to see how much the Cougar can take before the engine takes a dump. It's his kit, and he is going to buy anything needed to convert it for the Cougar...and if and when the engine craps out, he is going to buy a boneyard engine for me. We have a few SVTs for a good price.

It's a bet really, he thinks the Cougar can take a 200 shot for four runs at the track with no damage...I don't think so. If the Cougar handles it with no problems, I have to buy a set of GT40 heads for his Mustang.

So, with four runs, 200 shot, stock 2.5 MTX drivetrain, NO other mods.....do you think the Cougar will survive?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It will survive if it gets enough fuel. IMO.

After the first of the year (when I get the bike, make the last payment, and correctly fix the hole in my tranny case) we are going to hit it with either a 150 or 200 shot.
Why does your transmission have a hole in it?
Apparantly the transmission tower bolt that was supposed to stick to the magnet did not?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think you are looking for some serious engine damage. The engine might hold with enough fuel, but it wont be happy.

Edit: Mindtrip1016 actually has run a 100 shot on his cougar with a progressive controller, but he had a few mods in the engine.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was fine with a 100 shot on a completely stock engine except for an intake. I think it will be able to take it... How much abuse your engine takes all depends on how you run the nitrous though. Are you going to be doing a short burst for a couple seconds on each run? Or are you going to spray it for 10 (or more) seconds straight each time? I would say that you would be safe to run this amount on the cougar for four track runs. However - over long term use your engine will definitely die more quickly! Good luck - and make sure you change those plugs!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
All i gotta say is take a video camera with you when you go to run your car at the track.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
For what it's worth, if it's tuned properly, you can take a 200 shot. However, I must warn you ... find a way to retard your timing!

I have plans for a direct port 20shot/cylinder (120shot) when I can control the timing.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Properly tuned it will hold, trans might not with the drivetrain shock, but these little engines are tough!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If it is a straight shot with no solenoid pulsations then I seriously doubt that you will be driving for long. The tranny will more than likely give out from the stress of a sudden slap of 200hp. The engine will live though. I have ran 150 before and I am running fine.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I mean...how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop???

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
you're all giving him tips on how to keep the engine surviving.. but I think he WANTS the 200 shot to blow up his engine.That way he gets a svt motor. So Advance the timing a little, and add a little sugar in the gas right before one of your runs!

What if the car takes a crap After the 4 runs.. like when you're driving home? Does that still count?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
IAT mod, 200 shot and leave the radiator cap off!! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you leave the radiator cap off, you wont pass tech inspection and if you do, they will tell you to shut it down when your staging.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
you're all giving him tips on how to keep the engine surviving.. but I think he WANTS the 200 shot to blow up his engine.That way he gets a svt motor. So Advance the timing a little, and add a little sugar in the gas right before one of your runs!

What if the car takes a crap After the 4 runs.. like when you're driving home? Does that still count?
I didn't even think of that! If you are trying to blow the engine... Just "forget" to put the jet in the nitrous line. My 100HP jet has a little pin hole for the nitrous to go through. A 200HP jet logically is twice a big - so it is still just a little pin hole. Without any jet in the N2O line, you would be running adequate fuel for a 200HP shot, but you would be dumping like a 1000HP shot of N2O into the engine. I don't think your bottle would last for 4 runs though... But then again - neither would your engine!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Nitrous is illlegal.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
redline all your gears and spray the entire time, from takeoff to shutdown.

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
Originally posted by: RiverRojo
Nitrous is illlegal.
ummm.......i don't think thats what he was asking.....

:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Originally posted by: buffdaddy17
Originally posted by: RiverRojo Nitrous is illlegal.
ummm.......i don't think thats what he was asking..... :confused:
Inside joke, buffdaddy..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
partially unscrew the line coming from your fuel test line. This line supplies the fuel for the wet shot, Partially unscrewing this line will cause at lost 1/2 the fuel being injected. Thus you get a big ole boom!!!!

And this is highly illegal, therefore I can not condone any previously stated remarks.

hehehe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts