New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1999 cougar v6 ATX...very slow...im planning on buying a short ram intake and exhuast from trubendz. im just wondering if anyone could tell me if ill notice a small difference in power?

·
Registered
437 Posts
you will prob gain more in sounds then power since u have an ATX. if i had to guess in power increase i would say between 5-10hp. i havent driven an atx but what i hear they are slow no matter what you do to them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can invest some money into some good cleaners, some gaskets to remove the UIM/LIM and give them a good cleaning. Make sure your IMRC is working properly and relocate it as well. These in return will make your car a happy camper. Oh, plugs and wires if they are old enough as well.

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
the exhaust and intake hp will be minimal and you prolly wont even now the difference in power, sound yes. the intake combined with the exhaust makes the exhaust sound better

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
5 is being VERY generous and 10 isnt possible, maybe with headers also you could see 10.

531 Posts
get a full exhaust from the headers back and a sri or a cai and get your car tuned you will notice a difference. just sometimes small mods like that tuning it is just costly and nobody want's to put out the money, like myself lol. so i found someone down at the philly street races that would do mine and he did for a REASONABLE price.

·
Registered
566 Posts
get a full exhaust from the headers back and a sri or a cai and get your car tuned you will notice a difference. just sometimes small mods like that tuning it is just costly and nobody want's to put out the money, like myself lol. so i found someone down at the philly street races that would do mine and he did for a REASONABLE price.

I am assuming your talking about tuning the car for a reasonable price? How much does it normally cost?

Very soon I will have headers, high flow cat, 2.5" cat back exhaust, already have SRI, SVT UIM and TB and clean LIM... should I tune after all this? would it make THAT much of a difference on HP without the tune?

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
I don't see any real beneficial reason to tune a car with limited mods like that (intake and exhaust). Unless it's for better fuel economy...otherwise you're not going to get a lot out of those mods.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't see any real beneficial reason to tune a car with limited mods like that (intake and exhaust). Unless it's for better fuel economy...otherwise you're not going to get a lot out of those mods.
Even so you will still gain a bit of power, factory tunes aren't usually designed for hp. Plus you can get rid of rev limiters and the like :cool:

531 Posts
tuning a car is effective always, doesn't matter what you tune it for you can just tune it to advance your timing and of course when you do that your motor does work harder and etc.. etc.. i did the tune because A. it was cheap, b. always get your car tuned after each mod, and c. well their isn't one.

in reply to chromed cougar I'VE been quoted for 500-800 for a tune. I'm not speaking for everyone thats what I have been quoted for. I paid $200 and 2 six packs of Miller Lite. lol so yea I did get a noticeable difference in lower rpm torque because he asked me what i wanted it tuned for. i told em. i mean the difference in the low end tq isnt much but it is quicker also, after the seconderies turn on it pulls like hell. I'm now looking for SVT cams and I want to do the SVT Lite, like the tb and everything than ill re-tune it after the installation. but i'll do it professionally because i'm not in contact with the dude anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts