New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should stock GC bearings last?

I installed my GC & Koni setup last August. During install, I busted up one of my mcmaster-carr bearings because I tried torcing my front passengerside strut assembly while she was still in the air, and the bearing got bent and twisted al out of shape. :crazy:

Anyways, I put the stock GC bearing in, but I know full well that eventually I'll need to replace it with a mcmaster-carr bearing. But how long should I wait?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
RE:How long should stock GC bearings last?

it took me less than 6 months

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: How long should stock GC bearings last?

Didn't you listen to my story? I had the new ones, had them installed, but busted one of the bearings. I know they ship in a couple days, but I wasn't leaving my ride in the air for a couple of days longer when I would of had her finished that day.

Thanks PuckPuck... I'll make a point to change the bearing this winter while she's in storage.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: How long should stock GC bearings last?

Update:
I've been noticing a "howeling" sound from my front passenger side. I'm not sure if this is just me, but it comes and goes, and I cannot readily reproduce it. Just wondering if this could possibly be a failing bearing from my GC?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
what i mean by mine took less than 6 months, is my stock GC bearings lasted less than 6 months....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
how do u know if u have bad bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
what i mean by mine took less than 6 months, is my stock GC bearings lasted less than 6 months....
Yeah, the noise I'm hearing from the passenger side, is the side with the stock GC bearing. I might be nothing, might just be the colder weather. Just wanted to know if a "howeling" sound is what you sound expect?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When my bearings went bad, I noticed a "popping" sound.

It takes less than 10 minutes to replace the bearing. Just jack up the car and unbolt the strut from the top. Push the piston down into the wheel well, remove/replace the bearing and reassemble.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking that... but I wasn't sure if I could slide it over top. That will save me A LOT of hassle then : ) Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts