New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say i was at a dragstrip. how many runs down the dragstrip would i get?
say i was continously spraying, not that i would. how long would it spray before it ran out?
why do some people have 2 bottles? to spray twice the nitrous, or so it'll last twice as long?
how much does nitrous oxide cost approx?
do the nitrous lines run along the bottom of the car, or inside under the carpet like amp wiring? if ouside of the car, how do you get the line from the inside of the trunk, to the outside of the car?
does a purge kit do anything besides look cool? how much 'inert' nitrous could there be at the beginning of the line?
does the purple color of the zex kit please anyone else besides me?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I believe the average size tank lasts for 7 minutes running a 55jet (1olb bottle)

2 bottles looks cool and lasts longer

$3.50-5.00 per pound

I think I'm going to run my lines inside the car I wouldn't want to risk a puncture
even with braided stainless lines on it.

to rid the system of and normal air that is in the line. See when you put a new bottle in the car and turn it on there was normal air in the line, now that you turned the bottle on the normal air is compressed in the front of the line. This gets rid of any lag that would be caused by not having liquid nitrous to the front of the system

Yes ZEX purple is schweeeeeet! But I have to go NX white.

G

·
I was told 5 continuous minutes on a 55 shot IIRC :shrug:

My 10lb Zex bottle fit PERFECTLY in between the back seats in the area of the cup holder. Im in perfect reach of the valve so I can open and close at will. Mounting the bottle there looks great and also is very convienient. The Zex purple also looks a lot nicer than I thought it would have.

I pay approx 26-35 per fill on my nitrous bottle.

G

·
yeah gimme a couple minutes ill take a couple shots.

Here ya go man
Dont pay attention to my lunch box lol i drove to work today

and no my car isnt lobsided, i had the camera tilted on that last pic

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
-say i was at a dragstrip. how many runs down the dragstrip would i get?

Add a bottle heater and you'll get more quality runs... Remember bottle pressure is key. You can probably get 5 runs in at 750-950psi (950 is optimal) on a 55-75 shot...After that I guarantee your times will start going up.

-say i was continously spraying, not that i would. how long would it spray before it ran out?

4-5 minutes of continuous spray, but HP gains would decrease with bottle pressure.

-why do some people have 2 bottles? to spray twice the nitrous, or so it'll last twice as long?

This is for a few reasons...If you have a multi stage setup you'll want a bottle for each stage. Having 2 bottles will give you more runs between fills, and keep higher pressure for longer. It looks cool ;) http://pgtatx.cougardb.com...

-how much does nitrous oxide cost approx?

Avg is $3.50 to $6.00 per lb... I pay about $30-$35 per 10lb fill.

do the nitrous lines run along the bottom of the car, or inside under the carpet like amp wiring? if ouside of the car, how do you get the line from the inside of the trunk, to the outside of the car?

If you race at the track, the hoses must be outside the car, and you must have a blow off cap with blow down tube. You can lift the carpet and pull one of the drain plugs in the trunk. Or just drill. You run the line on the inside of the frame, and then up the wheel well, and into the engine bay.

-does a purge kit do anything besides look cool? how much 'inert' nitrous could there be at the beginning of the line?

If you constantly open and close the bottle, then a purge can be advantageous, as you can feel a jerky acceleration if air is in the lines. It is not needed...

-does the purple color of the zex kit please anyone else besides me?

I definitely have wood right now... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Originally posted by: pgtatx
-does the purple color of the zex kit please anyone else besides me? I definitely have wood right now... ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
What you have there is VERY dangerous! At least with the bottle in the trunk, you have the rear seats with their steel plate backs to force the pressure of an exploding bottle upward and outward. If your bottle explodes, you are dead! Also, forget about running that setup at any track as they will laugh at you during tech inspection.

As for continuous use of a 10lb nitrous bottle, it depends on the jetting. For the ZEX kit, which I have owned and used extensively, the bottle would last as follows:

55hp = 3 continuous minutes
65hp = 2.5 continuous minutes
75hp = 2 continuous minutes

This information is from the installation manual that came with my ZEX kit.

G

·
Originally posted by: FastCougar
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
What you have there is VERY dangerous! At least with the bottle in the trunk, you have the rear seats with their steel plate backs to force the pressure of an exploding bottle upward and outward. If your bottle explodes, you are dead! Also, forget about running that setup at any track as they will laugh at you during tech inspection.
Thanks for the info. However, I could only think of the bottle exploding because of heat causing excess pressure, but I do not have a bottle heater, and I plan to lay a cool towel on the bottle in the summer time. And why couldnt I run this at a track? I went to a track once and saw a guy that had a friend holding his nitrous bottle in his lap? I thought that was very stupid...but mine is bolted down firmly

The gentleman that installed the system is very reputable here in Atlanta and has done extensive amounts of installs. Im also getting a Zex blow down kit in two weeks, along with two pressure gauges (one on bottle and on overhead gauge) to keep an eye on pressures. Unless there was a physical defect in the bottle I dont see how my bottle could explode for no reason. Im getting almost every imaginable safety device. I have no room in the trunk, where else do you recoommend? :( Please note I am VERY limited on trunk space. I can barely fit my floor jack in there

Please inform me :)

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I guess it depends on the track, but NHRA rules state that bottles placed inside the cabin area should have a blowdown tube installed. On hot summer days however, I would simply remove the bottle all together when leaving the car unattended for long periods of time.

G

·
Originally posted by: FastCougar
I guess it depends on the track, but NHRA rules state that stock cars should not place bottles inside the cabin area. On hot summer days however, I would simply remove the bottle all together when leaving the car unattended for long periods of time.
oh yeah, i definatly dont use my nitrous enough to warrant it being in my car 24/7

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
George, your bottle looks cool there, and allows you good access to it, but its kinda dangerour to have there. I would think you would probably be better off putting it on the floor behind your drivers seat.

G

·
It would be equally dangerous to have it behind me lol. Having it there will also limit leg room in the back for passengers heh and the bottle needs to be facing towards the front of the car at angle.

I really cant put the bottle anywhere besides there. Plus my bottle is removed half of the time I drive it anyways so I dont see it as a problem :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Pyrochaos
when DgnZCoug is purging like in the video ive seen, he probably goes through nitrous like fat people go through krispy kremes.
:rofl:

yeah, hes probably secretly doing it right now!
or if he wakes up in the middle of the night ... just enough time for a quick spray :tongue:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Don't get pulled over with that bottle there either...

I know there are many different laws in many different states, but the consensus I seem to have gotten, is Nitrous bottles may be carried (in the trunk), and the bottle much be closed and disconnected when on the street.

I believe some tsates require you have a license to carry over a certain amount, and have decals on the car that say you have a compressed gas in the car.

And I think there is a limit to carry anyway...

·
Banned
4,854 Posts

and have decals on the car that say you have a compressed gas in the car.

:rofl: that explains all those NOS stickers, those ricers are obiding by the law :rofl:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Originally posted by: buffdaddy17

and have decals on the car that say you have a compressed gas in the car.

:rofl: that explains all those NOS stickers, those ricers are obiding by the law :rofl:
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts