New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change the water pump on our cars? I'm ordering some parts from BAT, have 125,000km on my car, and still have the stock water pump. Wondering if I should throw one in the basket, that is, if it's easily do-able myself.

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
pull the battery, air box and upper intake manifold off and it's all there for your removing...

1-2 hour job with a few beer breaks in between if you haven't done anything like this before...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!

Ok... I'll make sure I pick one up with this order then. Just have to get out of this -15, 30cm of snow crap! I guess you're getting something similar down Windsor way?

CougarGT... what's the benefit of changing the thermostat?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
thermostat is cheap maintenance. its just good practice.

·
8,550 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but I'm about 99% certain that Dan and Trevor didn't pull the UIM off when they did Trevor's water pump... Battery, air box, and some hoses were about it, IIRC.

--RJ

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
RJ-

You're right, we didn't pull the UIM on Trevor's Contour to do the pump. His was an ATX, too, which made everything more difficult to get to. It's just 8 or so 8mm bolts. A 1/4" universal joint and good extension would greatly ease your pain.

Replace with a metal-impellered water pump- Don't settle for another cheap-a$$ plastic job! Napa's store brand is a metal impeller. Accept no substitute!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
you will lose coolant and need to add some.... before adding coolant, get the vehicle to operating temps first keeping a real close eye on the resevoir.... you don't want the resevoir to dip down too low.... also i'm sure you'll get air trapped in the system which will take time to work it's way out and vent through the coolant resevoir..... so for the next day or so keep a close eye on the level and keep it topped off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts