New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i have it but i'm not sure. My mom has an extra remote for her explorer, is there any way to see if i have keyless entry using that remote??

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
You turn the key on and off 4 times within 6 seconds, then the LED on the dash goes solid red (this tells you it is in "programming mode"). Then just press any button on the pad, and turn the ignition back on to exit programming mode. That's all there is to it. If you have keyless and the remote is compatible, you're golden.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing happened when i pressed the button except for the red light flashed again. I don't think the remote is compatible b/c it is from an 02'. Is there any other way to tell before i go buy a remote for a 99 cougar from the factory?

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
I don't think so.

But didn't ALL Cougars have remote keyless...anyone know for sure?

I bought a remote off of e-bay for $8. That's the way to go, if you're getting one.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
Someone brought that up on an older thread about this. Maybe on some other older Mercury models, or even pre-97 Cougars, but DEFININTELY not on the new Cougars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bennett it worked, i now have keyless entry. I used the spare remote off my dad's F-250

1 - 8 of 8 Posts