New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm a newbie when it comes to electronics.. my friend wired all my neons for me, but now they have stopped working, so I'm going to strip the car down and rewire all my neons, I'm using a standard toggle switch, how would I wire it? I know the basic concept of ground, but I don't know the difference between accessory or power.. which is which? Where do I wire the neon transformer to in the switch? Thanks.. any diagrams would help drammatically.. I'm just wiring three small 9' neons and one strobe light.. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If the switch has a ground on it, ground that pin to any ground screw in the car (under the dash there are a number of them). Accessory pin goes to the item that you want to power, Power pin goes to the 12v source of power in the car (cig lighter, battery, etc). To run a neon transformer to the switch, run the positive side of the neon to the switch, and connect the negative side of the neon to a ground screw, anywhere in the car. As long as the metal makes contact completely with the chassis/base of the car, it's a ground. IIRC, Streetglow is blue is positive, brown is negative.

Good luck!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Very simple. Just use your radio wires for power and ground they are right there. Neons don't use much power, but get an inline fuse to be safe.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
3 pin switch.... this is the basics.... 1 pin will be power, middle pin will normally be the accessory (the positive wire of the neon), and the 3rd pin will be the ground....just remember you have to also ground the ground wire of the neons.....

G

·
3 pin switch.... this is the basics.... 1 pin will be power, middle pin will normally be the accessory (the positive wire of the neon), and the 3rd pin will be the ground....just remember you have to also ground the ground wire of the neons.....
Loyalty that's is so correct, I guess you got all your switches working then?
I was gonna do another diagram, but actually was waiting for you to respond this time and you did
good job man.
Till next time peace......

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Actually I had already done it for my first neon I put inside........but I have already hooked up the box, just havent put in in yet....lol...I'll post pics when I get done with it.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts