New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to finish painting my center console but I can't figure out how to remove the shifter handle...It's an Automatic...NEED HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
There is a alen bot on one side of the shifter...unscrew that but after that I got lost. So hopefully some one has more info. If you get it off let me know too.

thanks

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you unscrew the torq on the side of the shifter... pull up on the knob -- as far as I know there is no way to unhook the OD wires and put them back in... your best bet is cutting the OD wires and then splicing them back together later or installing a new knob and a momentary switch...

BTW -- if you cut the OD wires do not drive over 45 miles per hour when you have the wires unspliced

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just installed a new ATX knob, I like the look, but I need a shift boot to complete the look... anyway, its easier to cut the wires, but I just used brute force to pull up on the stock knob and the wires came undone, can't use that knob anymore I guess. momentery switch was easy to wire, and works. looks decent, but needs work still (shortening and boot)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Uhh...I was just wondering how to remove a stripped torq screw from the side of the shifter. It's kind of like a round circle now....

Also, phant0mzero, where did you get your shift knob from, I did the same thing you did and my stock shifter just isn't the same...

Mike

·
Registered
865 Posts
I got my shift knob through a friends shop that just opened up, but the company was OBX, the shift knob was kind of big for some reason, the insides didn't fit around the stock shift stick... or whatever it would be called, but its the part you put the knob on.... anyway, I just wrapped some electrical tape around it for now until i get teflon tape and it works fine, I'm still getting used to it, but I want it shorter than it is, and a shift boot to make it look cleaner. I rerouted the overdrive wires to a point just before the groove for the ebrake, drilled out a bit too much, but it still looks good. just have to make sure its a momentary switch, get it at radioshack. feel free to ask anything else if I haven't explained what you needed.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
my screw was stripped as well... I bought a screw removal kit from Sears and we had it out in about 2 seconds...

Once you pull that handle off you will be left with 2 stripped wires.... the car will be in whatever position that you last left it in at key turn off... ie. OD off at car turn off, thats how it starts back up with the wires not connected and vice versa... hooking up a momentary switch will correct that problem... its 1.99 from Radio Shack and works great....

I too need to figure out a way to shorten my shifter knob now... but the new shifter feels so much nicer, much more sturdy and performance feeling...

here is my knob and you can see where we put my momentary switch

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
OK I got one more question, there's only 2 wires for the OD right? I noticed two green wires with a black stripe under the console, so if I get a momentary switch, I just hook up these two wires to it and I'll be done? Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yes that is the OD wire... and with the momentary switch it does not matter how you solder it to the switch... there just needs to be a connection.... so rip the handle off and you will have 2 wires... grab the momentary switch and solder one end to each prong and your good to go... with this there is no metering or positive and negative that you need to know... its not the same therory... if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me....

...C

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Thanks all, I think I have enough info now...just picked up the momentary switch from radio shack. All I have to do it get this stripped screw out and i'll be good to go.

Mike

G

·
Crispy, I love the dash of your car. The red and alum. looks great. Do you have a red/silver theme going with the Laser Red? I'd love to see more pictures if you have 'em . :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
The whole scheme of my car is Anodized Red and Silver with small accents of Black.... and VERY metallic... I'm gonna be throwing on vinyl graphics in the same theme on my car this weekend right before a show... I can take some pictures and post em or e-mail them if you are interested...

BTW -- thats a very small sampling of my interior... what you can't see is alot more accents... ;)

but thanks I appreciate the compliments

G

·
Crispy,

Looks great!!! All you need to do to shorten it is use a hacksaw. You can cut through the shaft in about 30 seconds. Just make sure you measure first, and don't cut too much.

Weber

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
sweet... thanks.. :)

Said7 pretty much sent me a how to on hackin that shorter which has been determined that I must do.. that thing is damn high... heh your the dude with the shift boot too right? I thought about that as well.. but will most likely pass on it.. I can't sew and I would want to use the same material that is on my door panels and headliner...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Crispy, or anyone else who might know. After removing the shifter and pulling the O/D wires out. Is there any way to put it back into the shifter? I really need to know so I can put my new console in. Thanx

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
So theres no way of painting the interior of an ATX without removing the shifter?

G

·
I took the center console out today you need to remove the side plastic pieces on both sides (the ones by your feet) Then take out screw on side of shifter and pop off the cover that has R,D,2,1,N then you can move the wires around to get some slack then you can pop off the OD switch and unhook it. I did it today.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts