New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on how to paint the black engine cover without painting the duratec 2.5 writing ??? People have done it so how did you not paint this part ?

Thanks for info ahead of time

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i heard ponchuno used grease and coveered the letters and just painted over the whole removed the grease, and the hand painted the letters. it looked great

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You can also go to any art supply store and get a paint marker.. makes it look almost the same.

Or if you get REALLY ambitious.. get an exacto knife and masking tape, tape the letters then trim the tape with the knife.. when done pull of the tape ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything special you have to do before painting this?? I wanna paint mine, just wasn't sure if all I did was take it off & start painting or not...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Use some steel wool and go over it.. not to coarse of one tho.. then prime and paint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just painted the whole thing and then went over the lettering with another color using a brush.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted the cover and all that i did was get some masking tape and tape over all of the letters. Press down on all the letters to make sure that the tape will stick. After that I took a razor blade and cut all the tape around the letters. I left just tape on the top of the letters. Then just do your thing. After you are done just take the tape off and pow. It's not that hard and it looks awesome. If i had a camera i would show you. I painted mine blue with a white coug.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
heh, good job people, you've just added yet another thing to my "to do" list :tongue:

just quick question, how do you remove it? (i havent looked at it yet, so dont think im dumb :) )

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I just used about 4 light coats of high temp engine paint, then a couple coats of clear high temp. No priming or anything. Looks factory clean, and has not chipped, peeled, etc. Easiest mod probably.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I sanded mine lightly. The sprayed the whole thing with silver. Then my g/f went over it with red with a paintbrush. I haven't clearcoated it though. Oh yes, I blow dryed it too after letting it dry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I've been wanting to do this. Everyone seemed to recommend something different. Should I sand? And should I prime? Does it make that much more of a difference????? Thanx in advance. :)

Nikki

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
definately need to prep anything properly... what you need to do is sand it so its all smooth and a tad unglossy... apply plastic prep -- let air dry, prime with hi-temp primer -- lightly sand when all dry -- then you can do one of 2 things... apply any color paint you choose and then shoot some clear hi-temp engine paint over it OR apply whatever color hi-temp paint you would like... after its thoughly dry you can take a fine tipped paint marker and color the lettering... if you follow that advice and use nice thin coats it will look totally professional and last a long long time...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To spray on the primer and paint, you need an airbrush, right? Do you need to buy these or can you rent them or what? Buying an airbrush (and finding compressed oxygen to use it) could be expensive.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Or you can shave the lettering off of it completely, sanded it all down so it's smooth and than repainted it.....................

Just don't let the dremel go down into the plastic itself or you will have a longer project than you want... which sucks big time I might add which is one of the projects that I have been doing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just painted the cover, will post pics if I ever get a digital camera. Anyway, it took forever to cut the masking tape to just cover the writing, if thats what you plan on doing. Grease is much faster, just make sure you put it on neatly. Looks cool though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I found out today the easy way to do it is just but vasoline on your finger and put it and the letters. After your done, all you have to do is wipe the letters off with a towl. Make sure its not to hot outside or else the vasoline will run on you. All three ways work. Sorry I told you the long way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts