New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get rid of that annoying chime that sound when you seat belt is not buckled? The sound that repeats like every three minutes until you finally buckle-up drives me nuts. Does anybody else suffer from this or do you all wear your seatbelt?

Help if possible!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
two ways.
1. wear your seatbelt(recomended)
2. push the seatbelt release button once and it shouldnt sound till you start your car again(not recomended)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Look in your owner's manual.
They have a procedure in their, which consists of 7-8 steps.
Once completed the buzzer is shut off.

The procedure consists of buckling and unbuckling and turning the coug on and off.

It's in the owner's manual, look it up.

·
Registered
469 Posts
hey now that option is not on the 99....good thing its not.....unless mine hasn't worked from the beginning....i never heard a chime when my seat belts are not in...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i think that its something that they started either in 01 or the 02 cats

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, it's just on the newer models. A standard thing on all Lincoln/Mercury vehicles now.
Where as I always wear a seatbelt because I like my chances better wearing one (and it's the law in my state -$$$ fine if you're caught without one).
But if you really want to turn it off, Spacedog is correct, there is a rather amusing procedure listed in the owners manual about how to disable it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 2000 zn has the buzzer. I believe they started putting them on the 2000.

G

·
yeah that Chime thing is really annonying, i tried to find in the manual where it is to turn it off and i cant find it....if anyone knows what page its on it would be very helpful.

G

·
I hate that too sometimes, just push the button in and it should disable it for awhile.

Now i have a question- I'm planning on getting a Tru Rev Intake from KKM and i'm wondering how effective they are??? Do they really increase your HP? I want a new exhaust for my car, but i have no clue where to start? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Vanessa

·
Registered
367 Posts
that's really weird......i have a 99 AND i have the seatbelt chime. nothing on the manual to disable it either...

hmm

G

·
i have a 2000 and i had a door chime, looked in my manual and it gave me instructions on removing it.
you have to turn your car in the on postion not started when the seatbelt light does away you have to insert the seat belt into slot and remove X5, turn car on, its in the manual, which i dont have right now but when i get home i'l post to check that info

edit: park brake is on, car is in park or neutral for manual, ingnition off, all doors closed,
driver seatbelt unbuckled headlights off.
turn switch on do not start engine, wait until saftey warning light turns off,
next 3 steps must be done within 60 secs.
buckle and unbuckle 3 times,
turn on headlight and turn off,
buckle and unbuckle 3 more times, after step 5 belt warning light will turn on for 3 sec, within 7 sec of belt turning off buckle and unbuckle belt, this will disable if enabled and enable if disabled
have fun
confirmation, safety belt light will flash 12 times

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
LOL, should I stand on my head and do twirlies at the same time within 5 sec?!? he he I'm just wondering how much fun the designer of that logic system had setting it up! He's probably reading this laughing his arse off! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
LMAO :biggrin: do we have to do that during a certain phase of the moon?

But seriously, thanks for the info MTDrew. I'll give it a shot this weeekend. Hehe, Casanova.....suddenly the shotgun option doesn't sound too bad :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
it sounds like putting a cheat code in a video game!

·
Registered
367 Posts
edit: park brake is on, car is in park or neutral for manual, ingnition off, all doors closed,
driver seatbelt unbuckled headlights off.
turn switch on do not start engine, wait until saftey warning light turns off,
next 3 steps must be done within 60 secs.
buckle and unbuckle 3 times,
turn on headlight and turn off,
buckle and unbuckle 3 more times, after step 5 belt warning light will turn on for 3 sec, within 7 sec of belt turning off buckle and unbuckle belt, this will disable if enabled and enable if disabled
have fun
confirmation, safety belt light will flash 12 times
this method did not work for me. it might work for 2000+ models though. i'll ask the service dept. about it when i get my 30k maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts