New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought a Lower intake from BAT and am wondering how to diconnect the fuel lines. Ford and Haynes quote some special tools (see attached), has anyone got a workaround?:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just keep your old fuel rail on the lower IM. Unscrew the fuel rail from the new lower and be sure not to let the O rings on the fuel injectors to touch anything (you don't want them to get dirty). Unscrew the fuel rail from the old lower and remove the lower from the heads of the engine and slide the fuelrail out as you are doing this. Put the new lower one and slide the original fuel rail in the new lower. Install the 19Lb injectors the same way the 16Lb injectors were installed. If the electrical connector doesn't work don't worry do what I did cut the two prongs on the side of the 19Lb injectors and slide the electrical connectors and make sure the + side is with the + side on the injectors and push it in snug and tight so it won't slide out. And now you can put you car back together.:)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Why would you go through all that trouble when you could just disconnect the fuel lines/fuel injector harness and unscrew it and put a whole new one on? No need to worry about seals and delicate fuel injectors. It would seem like a waste to get a SVT lower intake manifold and not even bother to put it in.

EDIT: ANy auto part store will have this tool it should be like $5 from what I am told.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well he asked me if he can work around the disconnecting the fuel lines. But, if one was to order the BAT lower IM and they had a return type fuel system (like myself) they are going to have to do this anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<< Well he asked me if he can work around the disconnecting the fuel lines. But, if one was to order the BAT lower IM and they had a return type fuel system (like myself) they are going to have to do this anyway. >>

That's excatly it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
What I do if I don't have the tool with me is this. As you know, all that holds the two ends together is a circular spring. Take 2 small flathead screw drivers, put one parallel with the connector and then slide it into the side with the open slot to push against the spring, repeat this on the other side of the connector with the other screwdriver. Pull on the fuel line a little and thats it. It takes a little patience but once you do one its a piece of cake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how do i get the damn fuel rail off the injectors, its stuck. should i just pull harder?

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Originally posted by: cmac
What I do if I don't have the tool with me is this. As you know, all that holds the two ends together is a circular spring. Take 2 small flathead screw drivers, put one parallel with the connector and then slide it into the side with the open slot to push against the spring, repeat this on the other side of the connector with the other screwdriver. Pull on the fuel line a little and thats it. It takes a little patience but once you do one its a piece of cake.
I used a small hose clamp with the screw assembly cut off. So basically it was just a metal ring, and I slid it down into the flange and pulled. It ain't easy, but yeah...a little patience.

You could just take the 2 bolts out of the pressure sensor and disconnect the fuel rail from there instead of worrying about that stupid flange. Or do you have a return line? If so, ignore last suggestion...

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm trying to remove a return rail and swap in a returnless rail, i unbolted the rail, and i'm trying to understand how to disconnect the rail from the injectors, i'm not sure if the screwdriver technique is for that or not? if it is i cant figure it out. thanks for the help, adam.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
disconnect the rail from the injectors? you have to take each injector out separately...they pull right out. as for taking the entire rail out (much easier), you need something like This. They come in different variations, and you can buy them at any auto store or Sears. Takes a second to get the fuel rail off with this.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts