New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do u get the outside of the Vents off...??..??

I have taken my vents out and painted those..... Now I want to paint the outisde around them.. does anyone know how to get those off..??

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. What did you already paint, what do you want to paint? And exactly what did you take off, and what do you need to take off. Sorry, but you were really vauge, and it made no sense.

G

·
I think phatcougar's talking about the little plastic rim that goes around the actual vent. So she's taken out the part that turns where the air comes out of, but she wants to paint the plastic part that surrounds it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That makes even less sense.

The first step in that process is removing the entire vent assebly. Then you can remove the outer, silver, rim.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Oh, so she painted the vents while they were still in the car....ok.

Well to remove the vents all together, you first need to remove the dash trim where the headlight knob is, and the radio bezel. To remove the headlight knob trim, you need to remove the kick panel first. Look under the steeringwheel and look up at the kick panel. You will see two small circles, about a half an inch wide. Pop those off and remove the screws under them, now pop off the kick panel. Now you will see two torx screws that hold on the bottom of the dash trim, remove those and pop the trim peicd off. This will expose a torx screw that holds down the black dash mat (part that covers the speedo cluster). Now remove the radio, and the screws hidden under the hole where the radio was sitting. Also remove the ash tray and thw two screws hidden there. Pull off the four button peice (rear defrost, red blinking light), there is a torx screw hidden there too. Now you will be able to pop off that dash trim...no need to completly remove it, just pull the top down enough to expose the two torx screws holding down that side of the dash mat.

When all the torx screws holding it down are removed, you will need to pop up and off the dash mat. It will come completly off, and allow you to remove the three vents. Torx screws hold them in place. WHen you remove the vents themselvs, you will see how the vents pop out from the inside of the trim you want to paint. Paint them and put them back together.

Do a search on this board for "vent", you will find two how-tos as far as removing the passenger vent goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts