New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you mean how do you take the damn thing off?

if thats the question you remove all the screws or hex nuts -- whatever you have... then you just pull it off... most people have places fill in the holes and paint over it.. otherwise you might be able to do it yourself with a little bondo and touch up paint?

I took mine off to paint the bracket... I found 4 mis-aligned holes... dumbasses!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the screws come off from the other side of the bumper...it boggles my mind trying to figure out how the hell I'm supposed to do this.
I can't figure out a way to get behind the bumper, since that's how you get to the screws. grrr.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
then my suggestion is for you to stop at the dealer that you bought it at and tell them that they are morons and that you want detailed instructions on how to remove the bracket or they will have to do it for you...

According to what you described they actually took the bumper off and mounted the bracket on from the backside????? --- gee that sounds like ALOT of work... I think you need to post pictures for us... I find it hard to believe that any dealer would go thru that much trouble... the brackets are not factory installed... Mercury or Ford dealers just slap that thing on with screws... and normally misaligned or on several tries leaving you with a million and one screw holes behind your bracket when you actually do take it off... oh.. and the screw holes that I have behind there are making the paint peel around those holes... so if I ever do take the bracket off and leave it off it would require hella work to refinish and mask those holes.. :(

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is the pic of the plate holder. it's actually the body shop that fixed my car that put the plate holder on. still, they're morons, but hopefully they won't be THAT much harder to talk to than a dealer.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Bigkat that is retarded. Just dumb.

But that is why I like alberta, not required to have a front liscence plate, but some other dealers put them on with their plastic advertising plates

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yeah dude... I can see it on the right screw.... they look like posts.... take a needle nose pliers and start turning them lefty loosey..... trust me... I bet you I am correct

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yay! I got it out! thanks Crispy...u da woman! :tongue:
and just as I thought...every logical method I tried did not work. I simply just yanked it out. what kinda sux though, is that insetad of 2 screw holes on my bumper, I now have 2 bullet holes...but they're more like pellet gun bullets than magnum bullets at least.

G

·
eww yuck! pellet holes?

so does anyone have a really detailed explaination on how to do this? mine's crooked as hell (dealer in SC did this for me since my cougar was shipped in...) and I really would like to take the thing off, paint it the color of the car (plastic... ewwww!), and put it back on... straight this time!

·
Registered
242 Posts
mine arn't like that mine are two rivets that hold them in and i tried everything to get them out even tugging on them and uses a needle nose but it won't move... it's a 2001, has anyone removed their front plate holder off a '01.... if so please tell me how you did it....
thanx

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by: OhSoFastCougar
mine arn't like that mine are two rivets that hold them in and i tried everything to get them out even tugging on them and uses a needle nose but it won't move... it's a 2001, has anyone removed their front plate holder off a '01.... if so please tell me how you did it....
thanx
For the rivets you just need to get a drill bit just big enough to get the inside wall of it, but small enought its not bigger than the hole in the bumper and drill it out...

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
wow.. talk about bringing back a really old post..
Welcome to NECO Cyko!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, i did a search and didn't look at the date either, i thought about editing it to see if i could delete that reply, but i'm to lazy........oops

1 - 20 of 21 Posts