New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to take out the fog lights so i can put matching Xenon bulbs in there. I have been trying to figure it out for a while nor and if anyone could give me a hand that would be great. I would really hate to have to go to the dealership to have some aftermarket bulbs installed.
thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Did you get the correct bulb in Xenon? I was told that there was little demand for the bulbs, so they wouldn't be made for our cars for a long time. Regardless, I used the high beam bulb and just cut off one of the tabs. Anyway, there is that plastic plate underneath that goes all the way across. That needs to be removed. I think there are about 8 or 10 screws that hold it in. After removing the screws with a little pulling effort it(the plastic plate) should come on out. Then you just reach up to the back of the fog lamp and twist the bulb and pull it out and replace it with the after market bulb. Then you just put it back together like you took it a part. It took me about 20-30 mintues to change mine. You will love the look it makes. I have Xenon Plasma blues. Looking at it, it looks like it makes the whole fog light housing look dark blue. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found somewhere that i needed to get the H3 bulbs, what were the kind that you got mindtrip? Were they the highbeams the 9005 size? Which tab then did you have to remove? I heard the H3's work pretty well though so i dont know

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
MrNofear01,
I haven't heard that the H3 bulbs will fit the 2001 model fog lights. You can try it. Be sure to let me know if they do. Yes, I used the same bulb type as the high beams, it was either a 9005 or 9006. It says in the owners manual. As far as which tab to cut, when you take out the factory fog light bulb, put the two side by side( factory and aftermarket). Looking down on them you can see how the tabs line up on the factory bulb. The after market bulb is a little offset compared to the other. Trim the tabs to look like that of the factory bulb. You could use a file if you want precision. I just cut off the one that wasn't lining up right and used 2 tabs instead of all 3. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked at the bottem of my car, but havent removed anything yet because i am still waiting for my bulbs, and i can only see about 6 screws on that placsic panel underneith so i just take those out and then pull the cover off and bada bing bada boom?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yeah that is pretty much it. There were only 6 screws? Is that counting the ones close to the wheel wells? I remember that they were a different size. Anyway, if you need any more info let me know. I think you have it well under control though. Also let me know if those H3 bulbs work. I used the modified 9005. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Do a search on " 2001 fog light questions" . There you will find the answer. In the year 2001 they started using the H10 bulb. Anyway, there is more info on this under that thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts