New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to program a second keyless lock remote, but what about the keys? dont they have some kind of transponder or something embedded in them that will only work with *your* car? I'd like to make my Mercury one the spare and get a Ford logo key for my main one. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think that you have to get Ford to do it... :shrug:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
actually i believe there is a way to program a second key, cause if i remember correctly someone posted a 'how-to' not too long ago. but i have no idea how to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
You can't program a second key, but you can program a third. It requires two keys (already programed) to work. I think the instructions for the remote entry is in your owner's manual.

You can buy a blank uncut transponder key off of ebay for $20 usually.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
You can't program a second key, but you can program a third. It requires two keys (already programed) to work. I think the instructions for the remote entry is in your owner's manual.
Yes, the instructions are in the manual. Here's the trick: the Cougar doesn't know you don't have 2 good working keys already, so you can use your one good key TWICE and it thinks you have 2. Problem solved. Zalec verified this. PM him with questions.

Ford is screwing you all.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll have to find out how to do this and then maybe ill understand 'use your one good key twice'

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
Neil-

Basically, without looking it up and all, the programming goes like this:

Put good key #1 in, set to programming mode. Remove good key #1.
Insert good key #2 (but really just key #1 again), turn on and off. Remove good key #2.
Insert freshly-cut, unprogrammed key #3. Turn on and off. Key #3 is now programmed.

Does this make sense? You'll have to search or check the manual for the details, but that's the gist.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome... I thought about it and realized you meant something along those lines. Now to find a ford crested key... Thanks!

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
you have to have 2 working keys to program another.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Please do some more searching. Its already been established. It does not work. It will temporarily hold the code but will not retain it for future use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually there IS a way to do the key programming with only one key..that is, IF you have a remote starter. A while back I found a thread in FordForumsonline.com. Here is the specific thread Ignition key programming, I cheated with my remote start! | FordForumsOnline.com My suggestion on this is to stick with no more than 3 seconds in the run position (#3 key position in your manual). First I started the car using the remote starter. Let run no more then 3 seconds, then hit the brake pedal to disengage engine. Quickly put your primary working key in the 'on' position, then back to the #1 position and remove. THEN, put your cut key in and move to the 'on' position for no more than 3 seconds and then back to #1 position and REMOVE key. Then go back and put your cut key in again and start the car.
PLEASE NOTE: The first several attempts did not work because I figured out that I was leaving the key in too long. Like I said, 3 seconds, no more. When I did this, it worked like a charm. I then used my primary key and then the newly programmed to program yet another cut key.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
As i posed in your last reply:

First problem. Remote start is aftermarket on the Cougar. Not optional.
Second: For those that have had remote starts installed, not everyone uses the bypass module, some actually install their spares into the column. So it wouldn't really be cheating...
Third:I do have the bypass module. However my cougar is a very large paperweight currently, so can't test it. lol. Maybe another member who has it installed cold try it. However the steps are useless unless you have an aftermarket remote start.

And please stop bumping ancient threads. It would've been just as easy to start a new thread with this info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.