New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my Jet Chip and put it in and I was wondering if it is really working. Ofcourse im not going to feel that much of a power gain right away, but I really have no way of telling. I had a performance chip in before i installed the jet chip and every time i took it out the car would shut off. The jet chip does not do that, so I was wondering if there was any way to tell if its working.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I guess I'm not buying a Jet chip

Wish I could offer something more constructive, but I would just say to make sure your contacts are clean (as a computer technician, I can tell you that a pencil eraser actually works well for this). And disconnect/reconnect your battery.

G

·
If the car starts then it works, if you add a chip and the info. is not being read then the car won't start, you must have gotten one of the crappy ones or something, soon as i put mine in it hauled ass, I have an ATX though, you probably have an MTX, which I've heard it's not worth buying one for it, they don't notice it.

I love mine, my car used to be slow, now it's fast as hell, and the rest of you need some of my horsepower.
HEHE!!!

ROB

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hey FROSTY, did it improve the shifting? The only difference between chipping an MTX and an ATX is that you can firm up the shifts on the ATX with the right chip (they're already plenty firm on an MTX for obvious reasons).

In my opinion, the problem with the ATX is not the shifting anyway, it's the gearing the driveline losses. Someone dyno'ed an ATX contour V6 and it only put down about 119hp/125tq. That's a 30% loss from 170 and about 20hp less than an MTX.

V6 ATX Dyno Plot

G

·
I don't know who the hell told you that, but i beat MTX's all the time, around 3500 and 4500 rpm they close in on me a little bit, but when my friends shift they lose their gain plus some. I guarantee that was either a lie, a mistake, or a V4, they based that horsepower on the ATX in consumer reports, they do their own testing. Whoever said that is full of crap.

ROB

G

·
Oh yeah i forgot, yes it was the shifting too, but most of the gain was total power gain througout the whole powerband, especially lower end and higher end, big time, like i've said before i think my COugar is faster than most though, i know what you're thinking, but it's true, when i was at stock I was killing all of my friends Cougars(they were stock too) especially now with my chip and intake(yodude should be here in a day or 2). I also think the MTX is slower in 0-60 and quarter miles, seriously, because my friends just keep dragging further and further away from me every time they switch gears. THey don't shift early either, no way 3 guys with MTX are all ****y drivers, and neither one can touch me. so anyway just my opinions.

ROB

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Did you click the link? That's a dyno plot of an automatic V6 Contour SE, buddy. Same drivetrain as my car, same drivetrain as your car. Fact is that ATX's sap HP before it gets to the wheels on any vehicle. Just get out a stopwatch and time your 0-60. It won't be in the 7s, and might not even be in the 8s.

G

·
Yeah, what kind of crap is that, and it's a 96? probably not exactly the same and if it is real, there is something wrong with that tester. I didn't say i got low 7's, maybe i do, but i doubt it probably high 7's or low 8's at least. I know for a fact that ATX's stock have 170hp at least.

G

·
I forgot again, if i was running at 120hp at my curb weight there's no way i could be able to be anyone, i'd get blasted by a MTX GEO METRO!!!!!!!!! Quite frankly I'm surpised you believe that yourself dude, get real, I bet i'm running at 190hp right now, i have to get dyno tested now just to show you what an idiot you were!!!!hehe!!!! LOL

FROSTY

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
a stock mtx will put down 135 hp at the wheels in stock form.. with your mods on an mtx maybe 140-142 at the wheels.. want to see dyno plots i will post them.. my car does 147 hp at the wheels without nitrous with intake, exhaust, chip, and UDP

an atx robs more power than a 5 spd so you will have even less at the wheel hp

·
Registered
591 Posts
Frosty, no insult, but your friends can't drive provided their driving the same type of car...what kind of cars where they driving that are manual and you beat so badly...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So would I, Cougar99v6. It makes sense though:

Stock V6 MTX: 2940lbs/140fwhp : 21 lbs per hp : 0-60 in 7.8 seconds
Stock V6 ATX: 3020lbs/120fwhp : 25.2 lbs per hp : 7.8 * (25.2/21) = 9.3 seconds

Obviously gearing is a factor too, but this is a good estimate.

Personally, I ran 9.1 stock, probably mid 8s now. With I/H/E, an ATX should put down at least as much (if not more than) a stock MTX, so I can see a tricked-out ATX cougar running low/mid 7's. And with no missed shifts and no effort required, that's not bad.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The chart goes up to 7250rpm, so I guess there's no rev. limiter.

G

·
Ok guys let's quit being so defensive towards eachother and maybe take seriously what one says to another......each of you are right in what you are saying......of course each cougar varies in its own power.....some ATX cougs might have the same HP as MTX......but in most cases stock the MTX will push out more HP than ATX.....but keep in mind.....that it isn't impossible for ATX cougs to haul some major ass as well....we're at a disadvantage because of our gearing but it is possible for us to run right w/ MTX if we know when and how to shift properly.....our disadvantage is of course one less gear.....we however in most cases(not all) benefit from modifications slightly more than MTX.....I have been clocked at 7.65 on a 0-60 run at my track....so I'm right there w/ the MTX cougs......so I say its awesome for the ATX drivers who can haul ass.......but our MTX drivers are awesome as well......just because they represent the cougar all around and everywhere.....

G

·
Yeah, I agree with Randy, we've been doing alot of arguing lately, splitting into groups of ATX and MTX.

ROB

G

·
FuzzyRag, they were driving MTX V6 Cougars!!!!!!!!!! Anyway after getting steamed yesterday about another conversation in here about MTX and ATX I called up my buddies Chris and Devin, tried to get ahold of another friend with an ATX, but he wasn't home. anyway, I had to prove this to myself. I actually got these guys to let me race their cars against them in my car. They don't ever let anyone drive their babies!!!!!!!! But anyway Until my Cougar, I've had an MTX 90' RX-7, an MTX 93'Z24 Cavalier and a 97' Eagle Talon TSI MTX so i've totally had alot of experience with manuals. Just FYI for this. Anyway both of them have I/E and no chip so i guess i had a little leadway, but I raced Chris 3 times and Devin 1 time and Everytime they beat me in my ATX, one time I missed when I launched a little bit, but I launched great the other 3 times, each time I ended up at about 110mph about 4or5 car lengths behind them. So I know i'm better at shifting than either guy but I couldn't catch em', so i have all the proof i need, no matter what anyone says anymore, I know what's up!!!!!
Those guys are always accusing me of a hidden mod, but there isn't one. HEHE!!!!! Anyway just FYI for you guys.

FrostyMan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.