New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright first off I'll say it...........Im a moron.........of all the stuff I've taken apart and fixed and broke and modified in my life I can't remember staring at somthing like how to get the damn headlights out and waiting for divine intervention. I only have the cars manual and all it says it to remove 3 screws which I have done and then it says *Remove the grill* no further instruction on that aspect and thats were I am stuck. I see clearly the light asembly will not be able to come out with out removing the little grill piece above the bumper but I have no idea were to start. I see 4 plastic *rivet* type things holding it to the bumper it appears.......

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I have the Ford CD and it's showing two screws to remove the grill assembly, one on either side. I believe the four rivet type things are holding the grill onto the support the actual mounting screws are driven into. From that point it says to remove the cover, which is held on with a wire bracket. Once you remove the cover it looks like the bulb removal and installation are relatively easy, just twist and pull them out, replace and twist back in.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
heh heh :)

just look up in the manual about how to take the grill off... it has its own separate section

i did it before, but can't remember off-hand how to do it. But thats how you'd find it

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
oh.. and those 4 plastic "rivits" are not holding the grill on... that hold the fan guard on. The thing that stops you from putting your hand down there and cutting it off :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ok, here you go.

Open your hood, you will see two large screws holding down the grill. Remove them and slide the grill out. You should be able to clearly see the two clips on either side, right next to the screws. The grill comes off easy.

Open the attatched pic, you will see the arrows showing you the placement of the screws you need to remove. The upper most arrow is actually pointing behind the headlight, there is a bracket attached to the bottom of the headlight that is screwed into the body of the car. It is kind of hidden, most people forget to remove it. Actually you do not need to complety remove that screw, just loosen it enough to pull the headlight out. The other two screws are really easy to see. Remove the two screws, loosen the brace screw, and pull the headlight out towards the front of the car. It is actually pretty large, you will see what I mean when you remove it. Sometimes it takes a little playing to get it out.

Also, just as a side note. Do NOT try to get to the bulbs without removing the entire headlight assembly. You can actually get to them, but the light is positioned in such a position that you have to apply some force to get the back clamp off and you might break it....like I did. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much obliged for the picture I clearly see the *3* screws need to get the light out itself.....I also know the exact two screws you mentioned for the grill....Am I understanding correctly that there is also something else securing it in? I can assure you I took those screws out and *something* is still holding it in place firmly. I though that I took a good look at the manual and I didn't see any other mention of the removel of the grill *I'll look agian*

And it figures autozone doesn't have a Haynes comprehensive manual for me to look at

Working the third shift so I'll wait for the sun to come back out and I'll go back at it.

Thanks for all the helpful responses

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Haynes makes a Cougar book?? The only one I found was the Chiltons, but that has nothing about the body of the Cougar in it.

I just took mine out last week, and it was a ***** to pull out. It took some wiggling, but it eventually came....(not unlike my Wife) :::rim shot:::

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope they make one..........The only ones I saw still in stock ended in 1997 nothing newer then that. As far as the grill you didnt answer my question????????? Just the two screws or is there something Im missing =)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nope, the grill is only held in by two screws. Take them off and pull the grill out. At least that is how it is on the 99-00 Cougars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Task complete...........Good call on just the two screws......but for some reason apperently some ford worker got excited and motivated and decided to 3m tape the entire front to the bumper also. Once I got the tape off off came the grill and bulb swaping easy as pie.

Much obliged for the patience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I need help.. im trying to replace bulbs but I'm having trouble taking my headlight out.. I removed all the necessary screws and the headlight is loose, just attached by a couple of wires in the back.. so tell me, how do I get to the bulbs from here? thanks

figured it out, nevermind :)

·
Banned
317 Posts
i replaced mine a while back but i messed up and broke the little plastic holes on the back of the headlight assembly where the cover is held down... anyone fix theres??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts