New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a couple questions:

1) I used to clean the inside of my windows with windex, is that still ok even though i just got themn tinted?

2) I also use windex on the whole inside of the car ( dash board, around the automatic shifter,around the radio ) is that ok or is tehre a better product to use for this?

3) I orsdered the Simoniz Detail Car Wash System from TV. I am assuming that is ok for the outside of the car!

Thanks alot for answering these questions... i just got my car and i dont really know alot abouit them. Sorry if they seem like stupid questions, but i would rather ask then ruin my brand new baby.

mike

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like to use finish 2001 on the interior. It give a nice shine.I haven't used it on the cougar yet but I ve used it on all my past vehicles and it seems to have been fine.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Use McGuires on the inside and outside of your car when at all possible... I haven't found anything else that can compete with it...

Gold Class Wax system
Endurance Tire Shine
Hot Rims Wheel cleaner
Natural Shine for Interior

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Meguaires or Mother's products both have very good product lines... use normal windex for the windows... don't get any funny smelling or cool color looking windex as it is **** compared to normal blue windex.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I happen to to be an Auto detailer at a BMW dealer. So here are some pointers...

-Never wash or wax a car in direct sunlight, or if the car is hot.
-DO NOT USE Armor All or anything that contains silicones. Use only water based waxes, cleaners, protectants, etc. Slilicones destroy the paint, and tur rubbers and plastics brownish.
-Dry car with a shammy (best things ever invented), or cotton cloth. Flannel cloths can cause surface scratches.
-Use newspaper or really ****ty public bathroom paper towels to do windows. Works great.
-DON'T BUT GIMMICKS...stick with the simple things. If a claim is too good to be true, it usually is
-Windex is perfect for windows, but is only for windows.
-All purpose cleaners are good for interiors, but DON NOT use on windows.
-When using tire shines, again, use a water based one. The silicone containing ones will damage the tire, by drying it out over time, and if it gets on the paint, it can stain it.
-Use buffing gloves to wash car, they won't scratch the car, and work well. Plus they are cheap, and last a long time.
-Don't get carried away. You can actually wear awy the paint.
-HAVE FUN...enjoy making your ride look SWEEEEEET

I think that's all. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A tip for everyone...that infomercial about Orange Clean/OxyClean pay attention to. Orange Clean works MIRACLES. It WILL take off any tar you can think of, even the stuff bug and tar remover leaves behind. It will also take out minor stains that are on the car. Warning tho...wax the area after you use it.

Also when drying the car use the California Water Blade to remove the major part of the water and finish off the the chamois called THE ABSORBER..another great product.

[email protected]e

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, the California Water Blade works great! Cuts off a lot of the drying time. I also have the absorber, got it from Autozone. It works pretty good. I like it better than the leather chamois.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey here is another pointer the simoniz thing doesn't really work like it is shown on TV. Unless you have a lot of water pressure to turn the cloth....my girlfriends mom bought it and i tried it and it sucked

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My tint guy told me not to use Windex or anything with amonia b/c it will turn the tint purple. And yeah, there are about 1000 products for protecting and cleaning the interior, Windex is not a wise choice =) Also for the interior, try the California Dash Duster. Works awesome and doesnt just push the dust around, it picks it up and you dont even have to shake it out, a real time saver and good for ppl who go to car shows and need a quick dusting.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm also a detailer...
Lots of good advice so far, here is a few more pointers:
I know this is obvious to most but you wouldn't believe how many people I see doing this...
~Don't use dishwashing detergent on your car!!! That stuff WILL strip your clear coat and ruin your paint, it is too harsh for auto paint.
~Do not use Windex anywhere but the exterior windows if you have tint. Also, newspaper does work miracles.
~A car should be waxed at roughly the same intervals as oil changes, at least once every three months.
~Try to hand wash the car at least once or twice a month in the shade with a rich sudsing car wash and a soft mitt. Avoid automatic car washes at all costs, use only the touchless ones if you have to, even they can be detrimental.
~Thoroughly dry the car when finished, do not allow water spots.

Good luck, and even though this may seem like a lot of work, after several years you'll be glad you went through these extra steps. A car's appearance is its biggest asset and will be weighed heavily if you decide to sell the car down the road.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have to agree, DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT use an ammonia based window cleaner on you window tint. It will turn purple. I have seen this first hand. One of my friends had tint and used amm. based windex every week and his tint turned purple within 1 year. Windex and 409 and the others make a non-ammonia based product that my tinter said is just fine for automotive tint. Also, I agree with Crispy about the McGuire's stuff. I think it's the best out there. I had to scrub with their wheel cleaner but finally did get the brake dust off. Then I used their liquid gold wax on the wheels and now the dust comes right off. Plus, on the paint it leaves one helluva deep shine and mirror finish. Geez, maybe I should be selling the stuff, hey?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if any of you guys over here have tried it, but ZAINO is the best thing evr invented. Go to Zaino Brothersand check out there stuff. A bunch of us in the CEG have used it, and it is the bomb. Nothing on the market compares to it. Sal Zaino will even set up a group buy as well if you call him. Also, check out the CEG froums for lots of info on Zaino. Here are my pics of before and after Zaino in the forums on the CEG site BEfore and After Zaino. You wont be dissapointed......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy poop, man. Those before & after pics are amazing! I've just filled out my Zaino order form after reading testimonials on CEG, but I can't wait to get my stuff now!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question:
If it is harmful to use dishwashing detergent on your car (like I have been doing, oops
), is there any other household products you can use? I really don't feel like going out and buying car washing liquid that I'll probably use up in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Household surfaces and automobile surfaces are very different. And their respective products were designed with that in mind. If you buy no other cleaning product for your car, at least buy an appropriate car wash. Your car's paint is very delicate and cannot hold up to the abrasiveness of dishwashing detergent on a regular basis. You can get high quality car wash for under $5, it is well worth it. Everytime you use dish detergent, you are etching away your shiny clearcoat and over time the finish will dull.

For some helpful tips about how to care for just about every surface of your car, click here. Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

Also, if you use up an entire bottle of car wash in two weeks, you are using way too much. And using too much soap will leave a soapy residue even after rinsing. A bottle of car wash usually lasts me 12-15 washes, and you really don't need to wash the car more than once a week. Follow the directions on the back. If you are overwhelmed by which products to buy, always go with Megiuars. It costs a little more but its always reliable and won't harm your car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dishwashing detergent contains high alkaline levels which will strip your car of all traces of wax. It is ok to use dishwashing soap, but apply wax right afetr doing it, as there will be none left after you use soap. I recommend Dawn. It will rip your wax right off. Use it right before you wax, and you will notice a huge difference, but inly do that like 2-3 times a year. The water also will sheet right off the car after using dish soap, making it easy to dry before waxing it. Oh, did I mention Zaino? The best wax on the market?????

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IS ARMOR ALL PROTECTANT: INTERIOR GREASE-FREE FORMULIA GOOD TO USE ON THE INTERIOR? WILL IT LEAVE IT REALL SHINY CAUSE I DONT LIEK THAT?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use Aromor All Interior for that then. Little to no shine at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts