New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at 32k miles and I just bought a new gas filter to put on and I don't know how to, well,
I do but I don't, you know what I mean. I don't know if you have to clamp off the gas line or what.
and where is the filter at anyways¿ I tried a search a couple of times but I couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There is a how-to for this somewhere, but it's not hard to explain so I'll try.

First of all, the filter is located on the passenger side of the car, right behind the front door and close to the side of the car.

You'll see a metal clampl around the fliter itself, use a screwdriver to loosen the filter from the clamp, but do not try to move the filter out of the clamp yet.

There will be two plastic clips, one on each side of the filter, they are triangular in shape. You should have new ones connected to the new filter you bought. Use a flathead screwdriver and basically break the old ones off of the old filter, just by inserting the screwdriver underneath the clips and prying them off. This will allow the lines to be removed from the filter.

You don't have to clamp off the lines, just be ready for some gas to squirt out. Remove the front line first, it should just pull or screw off of the old filter. Some gas will come out of the filter at this point. Basically tilt the filter down into a container and let the gas come out of that side. Then remove the other end of the line and do the same thing, tilting the filter downward into a container.

After all the gas has drained out of the lines, slide the filter out of the round metal clamp (some gas will come out of the filter at this point).

Now you're ready to install your new filter. Slide it into the metal clamp. Attach the front line first, using the new plastic clips. They basically just snap into place where the old ones were. Then attach the other side of the line doing the same thing with the clip. Then tighten down the metal clamp with a screwdriver, and the filter is installed.

You then have to prime your fuel system. Basically what you do is this: Get in your car, and insert the key. Turn the key to accessory position, but don't try to start the engine (so turn the key as far as it will go without starting the car). You might here some gurgling or whistling sounds, that's normal. Then turn the key back the whole way, and do the same thing again. Do this about 15 times to make sure that all of the air is out of the fuel line. Then try to start the car. If it doesn't start or turnover the whole way, just try priming it a couple of more times, you still have air in the line. Then it should start right up and you're done! Let the car run for a couple of minutes to get fuel through the line before you drive it. And that's it!!!

Hope that helps ya.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I didn't realize how much gas comes spurting out until I did it for the first time last week. I got hosed in the face with gas. When it dried a few minutes later, it looked like I was on the receiving end of a money shot. :flushed:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did this on my old Grand Am. According to one of their sites...it was recommended that you:

-disconnect the electrical connection for the fuel pump
-take off the gas cap for air
-start the car...wait until it stalls
-repeat last step 2 or 3 times

This will empty most of the gas outta of the lines. Would this be recommended for the cougars??

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Originally posted by: 99Cat
I did this on my old Grand Am. According to one of their sites...it was recommended that you:

-repeat last step 2 or 3 times

This will empty most of the gas outta of the lines. Would this be recommended for the cougars??

check out the how-to from MC NECO that i posted in an above reply. that explains it very well... and even has pics :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
In that how to that the link posted to, it says not to start the car, because there is air in the gas lines. What you would have to do is Prime the system (as explained in the how-to). This is what I did, and the car started the first time perfectly without problems or hesitation. I'd rather have it start correctly than start and stall..

edit: I just re-read your last post, and I totally answered the wrong question.. I read somewhere that taking the gas cap off releases a little bit of pressure from the gas lines. I don't think it's worth it to pull the fuel pump and run the car to get rid of the gas in the lines. There really isn't that much gas in those lines, and it isn't really a problem. Just make sure to expect gas to spray out when you pull off the first hose. Most of the fuel is in the actual filter itself.. Probably 3/4 of a pop can's worth of gas total that will discharge from the whole install.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK...I think I wasn't clear...and its not that important...just thought I might throw my 2 cents in.

This is what I meant...

-repeat last step 2 or 3 times (this will remove most of the gas from the lines)
-remove and replace the fuel filter
-prime the system and start engine

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I just edited my last post cuz I didn't read the question very thoroughly..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.