New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I already know you can put chips in real cougars so if they run away, the vets will be able to bring them back to you and those work great but I wanna know how well chips do in cougar cars :p:rofl:
Okay enough nuttiness. How much of an improvement do the chips that aren't quick fix bull**** make? You know, the ones that actually increase RPM and fuel injection and stuff safely lol. And I mean overall and compared to other cars. Cuz of course every car has it's own personality and some are already well balanced and tuned overall and some (like the Mercury Tracer) come standard with severe bottlenecks that when addressed make it way, way, way faster. I didn't actually put a chip in my Tracer but a small weight reduction and way more flow through the air intake cut over a second off my 0-60. Yeah, kinda sad lol. I think it even hit triple digits in actual HP delivered :rofl: So back to my point, what's the approximate horsepower and 0-60 difference I could expect from a really smart chip in a 2000 V6?

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Read every thread in this section and you'll get your answer.

You need to do performance mods first. You can't just "throw in" a chip, expect it to magically increase horsepower and call it a day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read a ton of posts in here and it's mostly just you guys hatin on people for asking if those ****ty cheap chips are any good. I found a few where someone recommends brands but I'm still looking for one with estimates

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You should get the turbonator. It isn't a chip, but actually acts like a turbo in your intake, increasing horsepower safely and easily.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If your looking to at least improve the way your car responds even with minimal mods go with an SCT Xcalibrator 2. I was impressed with the way it improved my cars reaction to the mods I already had. Since my car is an ATX it also made it shift firmer like it was more alive and increased the shift point to a better part of the rev range at 6,300rpms.

The only thing was I had ADC send a tune for my car with the Xcal2 at the time but they no longer send out mail tunes so you will need to find a tuner who has some experience with the duratec engine like Brenspeed or a user by the name of Warmonger.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I read a ton of posts in here and it's mostly just you guys hatin on people for asking if those ****ty cheap chips are any good. I found a few where someone recommends brands but I'm still looking for one with estimates
dude, you didn't read. if you did, then you would have asked about SCT or Xcal. even if you would have taken about 5 seconds to read some of the stickies up top you would have seen that brand. you want power estimates? ...you do realize every car is different right? it all depends on whats done to the car. that's been covered over and over again. it's not like you can just plug a chip in and get the advertised 25hp that it says. thats crap. do the research. if you would have asked a question like, where can i get an SCT chip or Xcal, i wouldn't be so harsh. the point is that you didn't even bother to illustrate you read anything, you attempted at lame humor to incorporate a broad question displaying the mindset that you can just go out and buy a chip then plug it in and gain x amount of hp. if things were really that simple do you honestly think people would be bothering with 3l swaps or custom turbo's and s/c's? ask educated questions, not ricer boy "what chip can i plug in and how much hp can i get" questions. take a look here for the stuff you supposedly researched Nautilus Performance Group

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
just an fyi - 99/00 cougars are easily chipped, Superchips have a generic tune that will run you about 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile if you are driving an ATX with the light SVT upgrade. We proved this a few years ago in Ontario.

01/02's are more difficult and will require an XCAL tuner etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should get the turbonator. It isn't a chip, but actually acts like a turbo in your intake, increasing horsepower safely and easily.
swirling vortexes only increase flow in materials that can't compress (like water). Air doesn't flow like that, it compresses and expands when you try to alter its flow. Plus when you hit what's at the end of the air intake, the whole swirl thing breaks apart anyway.

Btw if someone asked me what's the fastest processor to put in a computer, I'd answer and that's so ridiculously dependant on 1000 other things and there's no clear cut answer. You're just getting lazy about typing it over and over lol. If you wanna just write advice once instead of giving it over and over, publish a book :biggrin::tongue:

Well thanks to the other nice ppl cuz that totally told me A LOT!:bowdown:

·
Registered
979 Posts
swirling vortexes only increase flow in materials that can't compress (like water). Air doesn't flow like that, it compresses and expands when you try to alter its flow. Plus when you hit what's at the end of the air intake, the whole swirl thing breaks apart anyway.
Umm no. Air cannot compress from swirling it. Air under any condtion that will be reached in a motor ( ie sub sonic flow) will not compress from turbulence in its path. Air cannot be compressed in an open system in sub sonic conditions. It will form smaller sub vorcities that will cause a minor frictional losses along the edges.

anyways, as hamill said the only change that anyone has seen from a generic chip tune from say Superchip or JetChip is in an ATX with some basic mods. I have a JetChip in my 00 ATX and it helps a little. I cant quantifiy the amount in hp. Just say it feels a little better. Those chips cost $300+ require you to run premium fuel and are not really worth it. A much larger gain can be had for less money. I got mine for $20 from somone who wrecked their car, thats the only reason I have one. Chips really just tie in all your mods. They help the computer account and take advantage of what you have changed in the motor. If you havent changed much then dont worry about them.

Stick with the basics first. Intake, exhaust headers. even those dont realy require a tune. You dont really need to mess with the computer untill you start swaping cams or other svt parts on. If you have alot of extra money to blow, and I do mean alot and you really want a chip, go to a good speed shop and have them put you on the dyno and have a custom chip burned. Anything else wont do much.

·
Administrator
15,565 Posts
If you have alot of extra money to blow, and I do mean alot and you really want a chip, go to a good speed shop and have them put you on the dyno and have a custom chip burned. Anything else wont do much.

But do that after you're done modding, unless you want to have it done multiple times.

·
Registered
979 Posts
But do that after you're done modding, unless you want to have it done multiple times.
Yep thats why I said "alot of money to blow" cause its a waste untill your done modding. It will just have to get redone over and over untill your done.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
is there a way we can turn neco into a reality show and vote off people like this guy? ::cue weakest link music "you are the weakest link, :gtfo:"::

the search button is there for a reason. u try that first to find info on the topic of your choice. then if after reading at least a couple of the found thread you still have some questions, ask them. don't just say "i want to know about x so i'll ask the broadest question so i can find something out" there's many people here that know these cars better than the back of their hands. try looking at the MANY threads people have on the builds they're doing now, or have already done. they start those threads and load them with info for all of the people who don't know that stuff. they're hear to help and have no problem with it, as long as you seem serious about it. it's kinda like going and buying a car. if u do some research about that kind of car and know something about it, u can ask specific questions and get specific answers. u don't just say "what can u tell me about this car?" the guy selling it will think u're just wasting his time and kinda blow u off. just like a lot of the vets here are doing. as streetracer said, if u spent 5 seconds looking through a couple threads and people could tell that u're serious, they'll gladly help out. i don't even have a v6 and i could've told u that xcal and sct are the common chips around here people use on the 2.5 and 3.0L. if u looked and found that, then u could've asked an intellegent question like others have already mentioned. u've been *****ing about everyone else being lazy and not wanting to retype answers. well maybe u shouldn't b so lazy and research some. quit putting the work of "modding" YOUR car on people who have already have their own.

and quit getting on people about not giving u a yes/no, this/that definate answer. i've read these threads and have noticed a few time people saying something along the lines of "depends on the mods" or "get intake, headers, exhaust then look at a chip" as u said above, in some situations there are no "right" and "wrong" answers and the answer is based on 100 other variables. that's all these people are saying. u asked for power gains from a chip. u will get little gains on a stock car. but, if u get the other mods people have mentioned u will see more power increases, better throttle response, and all kinds of other improvements. so quit *****ing when someone says that u'd see more w/ other parts and to not worry about a chip now. as wade and papatedroach said, u will reprogram the chip w/ each mod u do and will be throwing money down the toilet.

also, on a side note. PLEASE, i beg u PLEASE quit acting like u f*ing wrote encyclopedia britanica. u don't know everything about everything. that's clearly evident in your stupid comments. i am an engineer. i study air flow and heat flow. i admit i'm not an expert, but i know enough on the subject. (something u need to learn how to do around here before u get kicked out) i know for a fact, as papatedroach said, air cannot be compressed by swirling it. it takes a temperature change, pressure change, some external energy input into the air to make it compress. by changing the way it flows doesn't make it compress. think about an airplane wing. the wing changes the direction of flow. flow becomes more turbulant (and swirling) on top of the wing. if by your "knowledge" air compressed by that, then there would be a downward force from the compressed air and the air being denser. that means a plane can't fly. so please quit acting like god's gift to knowledge and stop talking. i feel bad for the brand new people who are here to actually learn something who read these dumba$$ things u say.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.