New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower does a stock atx cougar v6 type have in it? ALso I am getting a titan cai, and i already have a full custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust system. Now, besides those 2 mods, what else must i do to my car in order to reach 225hp?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ATX!!! TONS of NITROUS. You probably will reach 225 hp with a 3.0L hybrid swap, and a little shot of nitrous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
get every bolt on + internal engine work + weight reduction + nitrous + tuning & $4.99 bottle of outlaw octane booster & a cool plate that says I8URVTK or SVTNSYD and im sure no one will mess with you j/k....about the last mod

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well, considering the crank hp is 170, wouldn't it be possible to tell people you have around 225 crank hp with the following: cold air intake(10)..has been dynoed to prove it, exhaust(8), gutted precats/headers(10), y-pipe(6), SVT UIM/LIM & TB(8), calibrated MAF(6), calibrated chip(8)....?..no?

Mike

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: toofast4you
How much horsepower does a stock atx cougar v6 type have in it? ALso I am getting a titan cai, and i already have a full custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust system. Now, besides those 2 mods, what else must i do to my car in order to reach 225hp?
The easiest thing to do is change to a different car, and ditch the automatic .. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
you cant just add numbers to crank, you dyno to the wheels first then as you add mods you take the wheel numbers you get from modding and do the calculation back to figure out crank hp.

225 hp with the driveline loss of the atx (24% i heard, i may be off) = 171 whp
stock is around 125 so your gonna have get 46 more whp by getting a lot of boltons, or get a few bolt ons and hit up a 75 shot of the juice like DgnZcoug did.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yea, just like George did :biggrin:

I know I wont race him now... and i'd like to think im pretty comfortable with my MTX setup :tongue:

Originally posted by: FLIPRCR
get every bolt on + internal engine work + weight reduction + nitrous + tuning & $4.99 bottle of outlaw octane booster & a cool plate that says I8URVTK or SVTNSYD and im sure no one will mess with you j/k....about the last mod
omg no man! :rofl: those are awesome licence tags!! :rofl: if i could guarentee that i would NEVER loose to a vtec equipped car, i would totally go for the I8URVTK.......... or maybe just IH8URVTK :tongue:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Ah-HEM, Fliprcr.... This 3L hybrid would romp a VCrap... :banhim:

Granted, that was my old plate. Now it just reads "3L SVT"... :evil:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: DanG
Now it just reads "3L SVT"... :evil:
On a plate with an SR-71 Blackbird on it :cool:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, what'd you expect? Gotta represent 'da hybrids... :thumbsup:

T

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
well, considering the crank hp is 170, wouldn't it be possible to tell people you have around 225 crank hp with the following: cold air intake(10)..has been dynoed to prove it, exhaust(8), gutted precats/headers(10), y-pipe(6), SVT UIM/LIM & TB(8), calibrated MAF(6), calibrated chip(8)....?..no?

Mike
No. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. See the manufacturers / distributors of these parts would like you to believe that you can keep adding part after part and the Hp just keeps growing. How it actually works is that the sum of the parts outside the car do not equal the sum of the parts installed.

Now I’m just pulling these numbers out of my rear here but it’s to illustrate a point:

Say you have 170 crank HP. You’ll have about 130 ATW HP (or there abouts) lets say the intake is the first thing you install and then you re-dyno your car. You now have 140 ATW HP. Now you add the exhaust that the manufacturer says will give you 8 more wheel HP. You re-dyno to 146. WTF you say to yourself! Where’s my 8 HP We’ll get to that. Now you add the y-pipe that claims 6 HP and you’re up to 149 ATW HP. You add the rest of the stuff you listed, re-dyno and you got 160 ATW HP (and that’s being very generous). Where’s the 186 ATW HP you were promised? What’s with this guys math skills (or lake thereof)?

Here is how it works. Each item will probably net you close to what they claim in HP gains if you where to put that item and that item only on a stock motor. Because you’re not adding power with these modes, you’re freeing up power. Once you added the intake, you opened up the airway good enough for your V-6 to breathe more freely. It can only be opened up so much. Therefore, it can only free up so much power. Same with the exhaust and other mods you’re talking about.

Also remember this: Manufactures claims for power gains are not across the RPM range. The intake may give you 10 HP but at 5800 RPMs while the headers free up low end power and give you 8 more ponies at 3500 RPMs. See? You just can’t add it up like that. You need to add all your mods and hit the dyno. That’s the only way to know what you got.

Just my .02

Peace.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
DanG, stop showing off. LoL sorry man i just love your engine.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
:thumbsup:

If I can do it, anyone can. Learn your car- Know what you want- Do your homework. It's just nuts and bolts!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
ATX!!! TONS of NITROUS. You probably will reach 225 hp with a 3.0L hybrid swap, and a little shot of nitrous.
Unless toofast4you is talking about 225crank hp it's gonna take alot more than a 3L hybrid and nitrous to get him into
the 225fwhp range.

this is Cougarboi's car /Manual transmission (sweet ride by the way)
that's alot of $$$

00 Cougar V6 MTX-Prowler Orange
213.8FWHP- 191.1FWTQ 3.0L SVT hybrid, Full P&P, 3L valves, Centerforce ,Fidanza, SVT cams, Weapon-R Intake with k&N filter, YoDude Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, MSDS heders , SVT UIM, SVT TB, 9mm Ford wires, Driveshaft Shop axles,Solid tranny mounts,Streetflight custom burned chip, KVR drilled rotors, Koni struts, GC coil over kit, SW Front, WW sides and rear

1 - 16 of 16 Posts