New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my cat. I have a hard time hooking up off the line in first, so sometimes I short shift to second to minimize the spin. Should I play with the air pressure in the tires. I have mild mods, Ice man intake, and throttle body, under drive pulley kit, svt fly wheel,and custom exhuast, high flow cat, 3" pipe through a cherry bomb glass pack, which I burned out the glass! The whole front end starts to bounce when I launch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi... hmm, I guess either you rev your engine too high while launching and as a result your car is bouncing, because the tires spin. Ok, too much tire pressure can also cause it a little bit. A 225 tire will help probably. I don't think you have too much power after your mods :) ( I guess we can never have enough power). Anyway, if you rev too high, launch and also the street is in bad shape you would bounce even much more that usual. I don't believe you have real problem with your car. Check the airpressure first. Have fun
greetings from germany
Marc

·
Registered
770 Posts
Your problem is a common one with Cougars. You have excessive wheel hop, which can do a lot of damage to the Cougar if you aren't carefull. You can get SVT or other stiffened motor mount bushings which will help reduce this. One thing to remember is when you launch you need to reduce the amount of power you are getting to the ground, spinning the tires is just waisted effort. The one and only time I have been to the dragstrip I made my first run by launching at 4K and dropping the clutch, all I did was spin the tires through first and second. This only resulted in giving me a front row seat to watch the other guy drive away. That run was a terrible 17.3. Then I got a little(notice a little) smarter and started launching at 2200 rpm and improved my time to 16.0. I would suggest launching at a lower rpm or slipping the clutch a little when you atart out, you will see an improvemnt for sure because short shifting second will only bog the motor down and kill your times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.