1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the things that you will need.

1- 2.5" flex coupling with clamps
1- 3" flex 90 degree " "
1- 2.5" 90 degree " "
Drill (corded or cordless)
drill bit large enough to make a hole for the IAT sensor
black tubing (optional, but since I was changing the color by replacing the red silicon couplings, I thought I would replace the 3 red tubes with black for cosmetic purposes)
5" of 2.5" plastic conduit (optional)

First and foremost, you must have your battery relocated out of the engine bay. If you need wire to do this, PM me. I work for an electrical engineering company and we have lots of larger gauge cables. I can get an excellent price for you.

Also, I have an aftermarket C&L MAF sensor. So I do not have the MAF adapter plate for the filter and IAT sensor. I am sure that this can still be done, but the sizes and fitment in the engine compartment might be different.

You will need to disconnect the battery so that you won't have to wait later for the ECU to "learn" the new mod. Unplug the MAF sensor and take out the IAT sensor. Undo the 3 tubes going to the silver/ chromish looking peice of the intake. Take out the whole intake down to the throttle body(TB). Remove the filter, MAF and silver/ chromish peice that you just took the tubes off of, you need it later. Take the 2.5" coupling and attach it to one end of the silver/ chromish peice. Tighten the clamp on that end. I did so in such a way that the screw would not be visible to onlookers. Yes, I am anal about little eye sores. Slide the other end of the coupling on to the TB and tighen the clamp. Now, take the 2.5" 90 and attach your MAF sensor to one end or the other. Note the air flow arrow on the top of the MAF. Do not fully tighten yet. Put the other end on the silver/chromish peice to where the 90 is slanting down into the open area where the battery once resided. Spin the MAF around to where the plug is still long enough to reach and tighten that end of the 90. Take the MAF and 90 peice out. Put the 3" 90 on the other end of the MAF. Looking at the top of the MAF, the 3" 90 should be going downwards. On the end, attach the filter. It should fit in there quite nicely. Be sure to clamp it down pretty tight. Pull on the filter to make sure that it will not come off. If needed for added peace of mind, a 5" peice of 2.5" plastic conduit can be slid into the filter and the 90 and clamped down. I had no problem with mine with out it though. Place the peice, filter first into the compartment and attach the 2.5" 90 to the silver/chromish peice. Do all the tweaking that you might need to do now before you tighten everything down. Now tighten everything except for the 2.5" where it meets the silver/chromish peice. Take out the assembly. Locate your IAT sensor, dangling from a group of wires. Drill a hole in the back of the 2.5" 90, large enough to fit the sensor in. Install the sensor. (I chose the back of the 90 because I am not proud of the sensor and do not want it seen.) Now, install the whole unit again, this time tightening the clamp at the silver/ chromish peice. Plug in your IAT and MAF sensors. Reconnect your battery. Start your car and watch the needles float. Go for a spin.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
how much did all those parts cost? how long did it take you?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent roughly $30 for everything. Took me a few hours at the time. I didn't have all the parts I needed and ended up driving back and forth the stores. I could probably do it in less than an hour now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I HAVE A KKM INTAKE, DO I NEED A NEW MAF TO DO THIS OR WILL MY STOCK ONE WORK FINE. IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS ATTACHED THAT SAME WAY, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL READ DIFFERENTLY..

JOE
SORRY FOR CAPS

G

·
if you have the stock intake you will need a maf adapter, often sells for around $60, but you have a KKM so you should have everything necessary other than the tubing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your tubing sizes may be different with the factory MAF.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet to see the engine bay of an automatic, what does it look like in there? What are the main differences besides the transaxle?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wouldn't this make it close to water.. if it was raining?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
do i really have to relocate the battery?.........i cant squeeze it thru there somehow?

also, where did you get the parts?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had no problems with rain. The filter is still about a 10-12" from the ground and sort of uses the radiator as a shield.

I got the parts from both a local hardware store and a plumbing store. I am not sure if it would be possible to fit it in there with the battery under the hood. I didn't think of this idea till about a week after I did the relocation as I was staring at all the new space that I had to work with.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did. I am not sure what happened to them though. I'll have to take some more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts