New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on west I-96 the other day at about 1:30am coming home from a friends house and was dog tired. I was just criusin along at about 80mph when I passed a 94-97 Camaro RS, but to my suprise, just as I was about to pass him he speeds up and pulls even with me and then tries to take off. Well, better judgement not withstanding, I started to chase him. I pulled back up next to him and stayed dead even with just to piss him off. Then after about a mile I let off a bit and just followed him through traffic. Keep in mind we're doin about a buck twenty five at this point. The funny thing was, we both got off at the same exit and when I pulled up behind him at the light, he flipped me off and roasted tires around the turn. At that point I really didn't care to follow so I just went home. I love my Coug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
94-97 RS CAMARO -- 160HP, 200 TOR. TS -- 135MPH 0-60 -- 7.2 WGT -- 3200LBS.

no offense, but unless you got a genie under the hood (will understand if you've seen the commercial) you should have lost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you have to remember that this was a highway battle and not a stop light encounter. Off the line I never would have been able to take him, but that cougar will actually pull pretty hard when already rolling. Plus I still had engine left while he was nearing redline.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont the I4's have a govenor at 110?? cause they come with the 15 inch wheels right?? This story dont make sense to me how a cougar i4 could run with a Rs camaro.

·
Registered
792 Posts
'94 - '97 includes two totally different engines. The '93 - '95 camaros had the DOHC 3.4 V-6, it was anemic! I think a metro could give it a run for its money. '96 - present came with the 200 HP 3.8 v-6, much more horsepower and much more torque. On the highway the 3.8 I think would beat you bad, if you do have a 4-banger, but the 3.4 anybody could run with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BS....There is no way it has tons more torque and it has about 60 more hp!! You are lying..so take your I4 off these boards liar! Truth hurts dosent it!!! Not trying to flame anybody but this is a complete lie..especially since you said it took place at 80mph....your cougar at that speed is as dog! And I dont care if it was a 94-97 you would still lose!! I have raced them in my v-6 and they give a v-6 stick trouble !!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Folks, notice he never said he raced and beat the Camaro. He just played around with it (or it played around with him, depending on how you look at it). I hate the fact that almost no one can post a story on here without their honesty being called into question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is for orangecat, the F-Body HAS NEVER come with a OHC engine, they have ALL BEEN OHV engines. the fbody will NEVER see a OHC engine, EVER. and there has only been 2 options, 1 OHV v6 and 1 OHV v8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know anything about a governor at 110 mph. If it was there, it isn't certainly isn't there now. I don't know about it being doggish at 80mph either. As long as keep the revs above 4000rpm it doesn't seem to have any trouble pulling it's weight around. Also, I got the car used, so I don't know if the original owner modified it in any way. You can call me a liar all you want, but I know what happened.

·
Registered
792 Posts
This is for mprtklr. The '93 - '95 F-bodys DID come with a Double overhead cam 3.4 liter v-6. This was the same motor offered in GM W-bodys(Grand Prix, Cutlass, and Lumina) It was a 215 HP motor and it did come in the F-body. GM hasn't made this motor since '96 I believe. They do now make a 3.4 liter OHV motor, but this is not the one they put in the F-bodys. Do a little research on the internet and you will find out that this is true. I'm not trying to flame, just stating what I know for sure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Also, for Californians, the F-body got the 3.8 OHV v-6 in 1995, whereas the rest of the US didn't get it until '96. But even in Cali. the 3.4 DOHC engine was still offered in the '93 - '94 F-bodys. Sorry, the 3.4 in the F-bodys only had 160 hp, the 215 is what the W-body had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
orangecat, check this scan from a Firebird HIstory Book and please tell me what the engine choices were for 93 and 94, 1 ohv v6 and 1 ohv v8, NO CHOICE FOR A OHC. i do my research.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.