New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this on some of my neons..when I turn them on they let off this high-pitched sound until I turn them off. It didn't really bother me until I installed a radio bar yesterday. It beats to the music, and if the music isn't up loud enough, I can hear the high-pitched sound come on and off. Does this have to do with the connection? Like maybe it's not a good connection? I just wrapped the + and - wires around two wires from the radio that I stripped.

Mike

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
I just wrapped the + and - wires around two wires from the radio that I stripped.
I would say that is most likely your problem :)
and yeah.. it's because of the ground

to fix the problem i would make sure you get power from a good source and ground it properly
to properly ground you'll need to screw the wire down to metal on the actual car
there are other ways obviously but that's the most practical
unless you got a distribution block for all your grounds and run it to the battery - terminal

hope that helped

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i have the same thing happen on my blacklight. i have it connected to a switch that is grounded, and the switch holds like 4 different lights that you can turn on and off individually. i have all the other lights hooked in the same way, but the blacklight is the only one that makes the high pitched sound. so what do i do? it is properly grounded because none of the others make the noise. so is it just because its a cheap blacklight from spensers?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I had a feeling it was the way I connected it. problem is finding a good ground behind the radio, or a better way to connect it. thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
ok I had a feeling it was the way I connected it. problem is finding a good ground behind the radio, or a better way to connect it. thanks

Mike
well if that is your only problem, connect it (good) to another wire and run that wire to a place you can ground it well :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Originally posted by: JAMallott
i have the same thing happen on my blacklight. i have it connected to a switch that is grounded, and the switch holds like 4 different lights that you can turn on and off individually. i have all the other lights hooked in the same way, but the blacklight is the only one that makes the high pitched sound. so what do i do? it is properly grounded because none of the others make the noise. so is it just because its a cheap blacklight from spensers?
the cause of interference won't be because it's a cheap light hooked up
i don't completely understand your set up but tell me if this is accurate..
the part i don't understand is you have a light hooked to a switch that controls 4 other lights individually?
how can 1 switch control more than 1 source individually?
it's either on or off?
anyway.. maybe you meant 4 different switches and just the one that is connected to the black light is the one that makes the noise when switched on?
i'm not sure what you mean, but if you can tell me more explicitly i can most likely get rid of your whine :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
see that black box in the pic with all the wires and all? thats the thing that the wires (up to 4 sets) hook into. in the other pic, its the switch pad. there are 4 buttons, but its one switch. let me know if that helps at all. thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
hmm.. there are switches on the black box and then there is a seperate button control pad?
just judging by the picture i would say your problem is just sloppy connections but i cant really say for sure
how are you grounding everything and where are you getting power?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
there arent switches on the black box, just things that hold the wires in. then a control pad conneted to the box. and the pad has the switches on it.
power is directly from the battery, and the ground id gorunded to one of the bolts on the edge of the engine bay to the right of the right front strut tower. yeah, the wiring is pretty sloppy, could that cause it?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
yes sloppy wiring can cause interference
if i were you i'd try to find a better ground though
not something in the engine bay unless you're going all the way to the battery
it's important when grounding that you terminal is touching metal and not paint
you are using some type of wirespade or something, right?
that is a common problem with grounds
now to figure out why just the one light is doing this..
do they all share the ground you spoke of?
how do the terminate on that block box if so
a close up pic of the black box would help

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i made a mini wiring diagram of the switch, and only the black light hooked up. everything is hooked up the same, and i did scrape away the paint on the ground, and used one of the ring terminals (the one thats half a circle, not a full circle), for the ground wire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.