New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking around at some sites when i came across this site which some person posted that if you put two high performance computer cooling fans in your intake it will give you more horses what do you guys think of this........:crazy:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
High speed computer fans? Now I have heard it all! There is a similar device that is sold on ebay called an electric supercharger. It is supposed to act like a turbo and force air into your engine to create more horsepower. It has been discussed quite a few times on here - so if you do a search for electric supercharger you should find a bunch of info about it. Personally I haven't had any experience with it, but I have read a few threads about it. It has been determined that it is complete junk, and may actually even reduce horsepower! Here is a link to the electric supercharger I was talking about...
Electric Supercharger

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
coming soon........8 piece body kit, adjustable cams, headers, upper and lower manifold kits, and NITROUS!! VRRRRRRRROOOOOOOoooooommmmmmmm!!
HAHAHHAHA do0d???? adjustable cams? BWahahahaha

oh and yes the fans won't help but will make your car slower.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
they're not computer fans, they're usually small boat blowers or fans that are used to power small planes. I got a catalog from a Hobby place and they had these things in there. I actually have one sitting in my room that I tried on my car one night. I just did a half-assed job of mounting it in the intake and wiring it to a switch that was just sitting in my car, and I did notice a slight difference in acceleration. When the secondaries opened up, the 'kick' that we usually feel was a bit stronger and pulled the car harder. so all these fans and electric superchargers are not BS. they just shouldn't be called superchargers, that's what gets everybody's attention.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I think maybe he meant like a heat sink fan to help cool the intake?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
coming soon........8 piece body kit, adjustable cams, headers, upper and lower manifold kits, and NITROUS!! VRRRRRRRROOOOOOOoooooommmmmmmm!!
whats the big deal about cams?
Well your sig said adjustable cams and that's pretty funny
now it says adjustable cam gears and well I'm pretty sure no one makes adjustable cam gears for a 2.5L Duratec.

so I guess that would be the funny part.
and I'm not sure how that would work considering we have a quad cam engine.
And our cams have sprocket like gears on the end of them not the same as most I4 DOHC engines
that AEM and all the other companies make ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS for.

Most if not all of the cars that have adjustable cam gears use a timing belt.
the Duratec 2.5L V6 uses a chain.

I'm just giving you a hard time cause you're new and don't know much about mods for your car yet.
it's cool. But you might want to take that out of your signature.;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by: gyger
Most if not all of the cars that have adjustable cam gears use a timing belt.
the Duratec 2.5L V6 uses a chain.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a timing belt and a timing chain were essentially the same thing. They have the same purpose, but the chain is much sturdier and will last longer. The reason most cars have a belt is simply because they are much cheaper for companies to use in production. They are both tensioned using the same methods. I don't see how a belt/chain arguement shows that you cannot use adjustable cam gears.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. Knowledge is powah :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a timing belt and a timing chain were essentially the same thing. They have the same purpose, but the chain is much sturdier and will last longer. The reason most cars have a belt is simply because they are much cheaper for companies to use in production. They are both tensioned using the same methods. I don't see how a belt/chain arguement shows that you cannot use adjustable cam gears.
Yes a timing belt and chain perform the same duty

I don't see how a belt/chain arguement shows that you cannot use adjustable cam gears
Because I have never seen a company that produces adjustable cam wheels/sprockets
there is a huge difference between a cam gear and a cam sprocket/wheel and not once
have I ever seen them or heard of them produced openly for our engine.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Have you guys ever seen a company that makes adjustable cam wheels?

For our car our any other car that uses a timing chain?

You will never ever find cams like these.
I'm assuming you might not ever find the cam gears either.

That would be cool if someone could prove that there are adjustable cam gears
for our car(V6). Because that would just mean we have another mod to add to the list of things we
can do to our engine.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
On a mission to prove myself wrong, learn something new, and add mods to my car.
I found this.

do you know what those are? That's right adjustable cam gears on a V6 Duratec engine
But there's a catch the only ones that have ever been made and used have been
custom made there are none in mass production and on the market.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
exactly, which is why i have a shop that is going to custom make and install these for me for $600 so i know more than you think.......:beer:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.