New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've actually been lurking around here for a few weeks now, gathering info on these cars, as I was in the process of shopping for one.

I'm happy to say I picked up an '01 Cougar last Tuesday. It does have quite a few miles on the clock (130,000), but it rides solid, runs great, no leaks and looks beautiful!

It's essentially the base model: 2.0 I4. Regardless, I LOVE this car! For the last four years, I've been tooling around in a '92 Ford Tempo. I can't believe the difference. For me, it's like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari. Can't knock the Tempo too much though: sold it @ 170,000 miles & it still ran great.

Probably not going to do a whole lot in the way of mods to my Cougar. Compared to the 97 horsepower that the Tempo was rated at, the 125 hp 2.0 in the Cougar is plenty peppy for me.

I'm so glad I found this site! Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, Fargo: just like the movie. "Yeah, real good then." :biggrin:

Already putting parts into it: it's out getting a fresh timing belt as I type this. The old one didn't break, but I pulled the cover & MAN it looked rough! (lots of horizontal cracks on the outer-surface of the belt). Told them to go ahead & do the tensioner too. After that and a couple new tires on the back (next month), I think I will have good, dependable car. Next summer, rear struts.

In the meantime, I'm driving a loaner from the repair shop: a late '80s Chevy Astro van....with 264,000 on the clock! It handles/steers like crap & feels like it's equipped with a Briggs & Straton 3hp lawn mower motor. Can't wait to get my car back.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts