New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. There are three available on Draxas.com which one should I get?

2. How much does it affect the sound of an exhaust, if at all?

3. What gains could be realized when combined with an aftermarket exhaust?

4. Is it a bolt on or is welding required?

-Alex

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
links would be helpful...of even better pictures.

·
Administrator
11,556 Posts
2: If it's just the CAT (as opposed to a y-pipe setup). Then the exhaust sound will be changed noticibly, but nothing drastic. If you go w/a Y-pipe w/hi-flow CAT then the exhaust gets much louder and the interior drone becomes a tad intrusive.

3: You'll notice some gain on the bottom end, but mostly on the top.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the put your eye out comment.....A Christmas Story.....but I don't really GET it... :(

there is a universal 2.25"
there is a 2.5"
there is a 3.0"

I should get the 2.5 if I get a trubendz exhaust right?

What y-pipe works for the 2001 auto?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
See, now you're talking y-pipes, and a high-flow cat comes welded to the TruBendz, and it comes with the brullen. It doesn't come with the MSDS though. If you want a y-pipe too either buy one of the two that i said above or buy Instigator's at the fair price he's asking for and a separate pipe. You should save money by doing that instead of the TruBendz or brullen.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eh?

So what is the cheapest Exhaust setup?

$700 msds headers
$80 hiflow cat
$300 single exit exhaust????

You were saying my best option is the msds and hiflow cat right?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Cheapest exhaust setup?

gutted precats - $10 for MIL eliminator supplies and a 1/4" bolt
Instigator's MSDS Y-pipe - $150 shipped

hi-flow cat - $80 (your figure)
single-exit exhaust - $300 (your figure)

That'd be everything for less than a set of headers... $540 by my math.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
He couldn't buy instigators y-pipe due to the fact that it's a 2 bolt flange, rather than the 01's 3bolt flange. I think you'd be better off with what you described, less you don't feel like buying the headers than the precats are good, but the brullens y isn't necesarily cheap either.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Actually he COULD buy Instigator's y-pipe since he's replacing the WHOLE exhaust. The two-bolt flange connects the y-pipe to the catalytic converter. If he COULDN'T buy the y-pipe i wouldn't have even suggested it. Then again i like to KNOW what i'm talking about before i go contradicting what somebody else says.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
on the trubendz website they now sell replacement cats for 01-02 with the 3 bolt flange......they call it a test pipe and it replaces the short section of the y-pipe with the CAT

you can buy a straight pipe to eliminate the CAT alltogether or they offer one with a high flow cat...they are direct bolt on pieces and start at $100 plus 15$ shipped

might want to look into one of those also

just giving you more options...hope it helps

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
Actually he COULD buy Instigator's y-pipe since he's replacing the WHOLE exhaust. The two-bolt flange connects the y-pipe to the catalytic converter. If he COULDN'T buy the y-pipe i wouldn't have even suggested it. Then again i like to KNOW what i'm talking about before i go contradicting what somebody else says.
My bad dude. Don't gotta get all jackie chan on me. I was being ignernt. J/K.:biggrin:

*Anyway* I'll still try to be helpful. His y-pipe is the MSDS i believe and 150 is a good price. The only thing is you would have to buy a test pipe or hi flo with the 2 bolt flange also for it to work, which i failed to see. I've heard that the diff. in a hiflo and a test pipe is basically none on hp, I'm going to throw one on anyway even though i have emissions just cuz.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
actually, I don't think he could by instigator's y-pipe since the 01-02 (which balla has) requires an 02 sensor on the passenger side near the cat... I may be wrong, but that was my understanding when purchasing my brullen y

Jess

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
have them weld on an o2 sensor bung.. no big deal

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
Instigators y-pipe is what brand?

Gutted Cat > Y Pipe > Cat > Exhaust

how would that go if I used that "test pipe" ?
using the test pipe is simple...just unbolt the section of your factory y-pipe that contains the CAT.....bolt on the new test pipe with high flow cat.....done

whe you order it let them know its for an 01-02 and it will be friendly to your car as for the placement of the 02 sensor which i believe for an 01 wouldnt even have one in that particular piece of piping....very simple to do and the least amount of headache in my opinion

·
Registered
76 Posts
In case it was a 99 like mine (thread hijack hehe)

MSDS -> MSDS ypipe -> 3" high flow cat in a 3" custom pipe -> reducer to 2'5" -> trubendz

(3 inches instead of 2'5 cause MSDS exit is 3")

Right?

Oh, and I need that "custom pipe" (Midas?) to be a bolt-on, as I'll have to reinstall stock exhaust once a year to pass inspections. (laws here)

Or may I use one of those 3-bolts test pipes from trubendz altough my 99 is 2-bolted?

Thank you
chapulin

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
MSDS Y exit is 3"??? someone verify please. That sounds like a fact i'd have heard about before.

[hijack]
Before buying a TruBendz, call them or e-mail them and get as much information as you possibly can. If the person who responds to you doesnt sound like he knows, (I talked to Josh himself via e-mail and he told me himself he didnt know what series dynomax mufflers he used in his systems) ask to talk to one of the people who bends up the tubes.

I dont know if they do this anymore, and ive said it plenty of times, and have a hard time getting an answer as to why they do/did this but Trubendz exhausts are only 2.5" AFTER the muffler. The Stock pipe between cat and exhaust flange is 2". Then from trubendz exhaust flange to muffler is 2.25", then my dynomax was 2", and THEN the pipe from the muffler back was 2.5". so realistically trubendz setups dont do too hot as far as proper exhaust gas scavenging goes. Im wondering if thats why the trubendz singles net more, is because maybe theyre 2.5" from the flange back, instead of 2.25, then 2, then 2.5?

Who else has a trubendz? Who else has some calipers:
and wouldnt mind getting under the car to help others and myself by pulling measurments? I want to know if this is a running theme.
[/hijack]

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Neil:

Yes indeed- Here's a pic of the MSDS Y-pipe and my 3" cat:

Now- The correct jigging was required to get the alignment just right when I fabricated my exhaust system. The entire fitment mimicks stock, the best way for modularity and sanity. This was posted a while back in the 3L forum:

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Last

That's for a hybrid- The ONLY way I would recommend any type of 3" exhaust UNLESS you're running F/I with headers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
>> The Stock pipe between cat and exhaust flange is 2". Then from trubendz exhaust flange to muffler is
>> 2.25", then my dynomax was 2", and THEN the pipe from the muffler back was 2.5".

WHAT?!
If you're right, the setup is far from perfect.

And I was thinking about high flow cats, and the oh! so great mandrel bends. Go figure.

Dang, If I got it right; your exhaust is 3" from msds' y-pipe up to AFTER the muffler, and then is a
normal trubendz (2'5-split-2'25). Your exhaust is good for your heavy modded hybrid.

What about our less modified 2'5L. How would you do it?. (what parts in 3, 2'5 or 2'25 sizes?)

(and then I'll mail Josh :D )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts