New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some advice.....

My car has the same hesitation/bucking that I had when the fuel pump died on the way to Cougarfest (10,000 miles ago). Seems exactly the same as before, just hasn't progressed to totally stalling. I brought it to the dealer today (Framingham Ford) and they say the fuel pump is fine, that I need the ign coil, plugs, wires & my injectors flushed for ONLY $864. I have a few problems with that.....first, another customer using the same service advisor I was just happened to need his plugs & coil packs replaced (just a coincidence??), second, since "The Mercury Commitment" includes a 100,000 mile tune-up interval....if we're having to replace things 40,000 miles early, why should we be paying for it?? I know reading thru the forums tonight it seems that many say to replace the plugs early, but to me it seems like anyone that comes into this dealer with a driveability concern gets a nice profitable tune-up, then when that doesn't fix the problem they may do the warranty repair on the fuel pump that they won't make any profit on. Of course they tried to pressure me into leaving it to have them replace the items (they'd have to order the plug wires) - because driving it with it mis-firing like that could cause "major damage to the engine, including the fuel pump." I haven't had a CEL and putting it in diagnostic mode, it isn't showing any trouble codes.

Ok...I've rambled long enough.....any suggestions??

Chuck

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you think that you are getting a generic "everybody gets the same answer" solution... Try taking it to another place and see if they diagnose it the same as the dealership. It is quite possible that your plugs could use a change though... Mine looked aweful when I changed mine and my car only had 60,000 miles on it. And for the injectors, are you past the point of running injector cleaner through the car? Maybe that would help the clogged injectors a little?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
And for the injectors, are you past the point of running injector cleaner through the car? Maybe that would help the clogged injectors a little?

Thanks for the input. I ran cleaner through it about a month ago, when it first started the problem, and it didn't change anything.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
chuck imrc try cleaning it out.. cost about 3-6 bucks and i heard that its suppose to cure the problem of the bucking .. i havent had a chance to try it out .. but its my next thing to do

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by: Knibbs
chuck imrc try cleaning it out.. cost about 3-6 bucks and i heard that its suppose to cure the problem of the bucking .. i havent had a chance to try it out .. but its my next thing to do
I just finished cleaning the IMRC....and it unfortunately didn't help. :disgust: Next suggestion?????

Chuck

·
Registered
593 Posts
New spark plug wires only cost about 50 bucks for Autolites. Mine went out once and the car was hesitating and bucking. When I replaced them I forgot to put wire loom on and a while later I was replacing them again. Try changing those out and run a can of BG44k (www.bgprod.com) through the fuel to totally clean those injectors out (best without actually taking them out at least).

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
yeah chuck,, i agree with pizzaslut. start with the cheap solutions first then work your way up to the more expensive stuff

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PizzaSlut / Knibbs,

As long as the car makes it through the weekend I'll try them the beginning of the week -- working 2 jobs in retail during the holiday season doesn't give me much free time on the weekends....not to mention the 12-18" of snow we're supposed to be getting here. :rolleyes:

BTW - I did finally get a flashing CEL for a few seconds today - was going up a large hill & when the engine starts to work to go up the hill is the one time other than accelerating that it bucks - usually down-shifting & bringing the RPMs up smoothes it out...but was late down-shifting & it choked a bit more than normal & flashed the CEL for less than 30 seconds -- putting it into self diagnostic mode showed a DTC of 9318.

Chuck

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,934 Posts
...stupid 9318. That's a battery code. It is always there.

Change your spark plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.