New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years of running a Roush bar, and it finally pushed me over the edge. I picked up a spare subframe last week, and finally got to fix everything yesterday.

First of all, THIS is what the sway bar mounts are supposed to look like:

THIS is what mine looked like:

As you can imagine, it was making some pretty awesome noises when cornering, and I could even hear the sway bar clank against the subframe every once in a while. The entire thing was terrible; 150,000 miles of Ohio winters had really done a number on it:

So we cleaned up the junkyard subframe (from a 99 Contour Sport) and started making braces. We used some heavy angle-iron, and notched it to fit over the brackets:

We also make some L-braces to go UNDER the mount points (shown before they were trimmed to fit):

And then the fun part - this is the new Energy Suspension 21mm sway bar bushing, shown next to the stock unit, for comparison's sake:

The surface area is HUGE, and they are 100% polyurethane. Awesome pieces of engineering.

The bracing makes it a VERY tight fit, since as usual, there is hardly a square inch of wasted space on this chassis. A lot of hours with a welder and an angle grinder just to get the new subframe to fit without hitting the fuel tank or filler neck. But the results are SERIOUSLY GREAT.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Looks awesome Andy! I'm sure the long hours and hard work paid off there.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SICK!

Out of curiosity...Since the subframe is already out (junkyard one). Why not sand it to bare metal and Rust coat it and then paint it?
The shape of the thing is so bendy and wavy and complicated, you could hardly reach any of the surfaces. Plus,, even though the piece was pretty solid, it had plenty of rust and scale on it anyway and would have taken me months to get to bare metal all over. I did hit it thoroughly with a wire wheel and took the worst off, then hit it with rust-coating before installing it. (the stuff was really tacky, so I had to handle it very carefully - hence why I didn't shoot any photos of it with the coating).

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
SO. On the new rear subframe did you cut the old brackets off where the sway bar goes then put those beffy brackets on? I think that's what you did...

And what does that rust coating look like? A gel? Is it in a rattle can?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how come you didnt get the greaseable bushings?
Couldn't find any available at the time.

SO. On the new rear subframe did you cut the old brackets off where the sway bar goes then put those beffy brackets on? I think that's what you did...

And what does that rust coating look like? A gel? Is it in a rattle can?
The stock brackets are still under there, and the new steel brackets are welded on top of them. Retained the stock bolt, and welded a nut on the back for the second bolt hole.

The coating is a rattle can.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Would you think it's worth it to buy a new subframe from BAT with the upgraded swaybar mounts? They go for $485.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you think it's worth it to buy a new subframe from BAT with the upgraded swaybar mounts? They go for $485.
Mine was $26. And you can't use the fat Energy Suspension shackles with the BAT subframe; you have to use the stupid stock ones with one bolt and skinny bushings.

So no, it was TOTALLY not worth it to me. If you have the means, this is a thousand times better than the BAT unit. If you can't weld, or don't know anyone who does, then the BAT unit is perfect.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I have a guy here that could sand blast it and powder coat it???

Look in the CT/Ma Area :)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn Andy. Impressive indeed.

Where'd you pick up those brackets?
eBay; $25 shipped for the pair, brand new in box.

After driving it around for a couple of days, I gotta say, IT IS MAGNIFICENT. The silence and solidity is noticeable.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey andy, did you by chance get any picks after it was welded, before paint?

i just did this to my cougar (except i reused the clamp and bat bushing) a few days before this tread. Still need to do the csvt tho.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any more photos, so I marked up one to basically show what was done. Note: the ends are VERY CLOSE to the fuel tank, so you have to keep the overhang as short as possible to install the subframe once it's all done. In fact, we were hacking away with the angle grinder right up until the last second to get tt to fit.

And to add - there was more welding done in the other side of the bracket. If you are doing it, it's obvious where it needs to be welded.

Attachments

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
For comparison's sake, here's a subframe upgraded another way. It was done to a brand new subframe by a company whose name I can no longer remember (It was a GB many years ago). I haven't seen close pictures of these before, and figured other members looking to do this themselves might find them useful.

The upgraded mounts are exactly the right size for the monster Aussi Bar bracket, and are also welded all the way around.

The powdercoating was done later :evil:

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
For comparison's sake, here's a subframe upgraded another way. It was done to a brand new subframe by a company whose name I can no longer remember (It was a GB many years ago). I haven't seen close pictures of these before, and figured other members looking to do this themselves might find them useful.

The upgraded mounts are exactly the right size for the monster Aussi Bar bracket, and are also welded all the way around.

AIT, they were for sale through BAT for awhile. I had one in my old car with the aussie bar, loved every minute of it.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts

Very Nice! Is it actually in your car or still sitting in the parts Pile? :ty:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts