New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, so i have a v6. but i am helping a friend looking for a car and found a contour zetec for 2g's owned and maintened by a ford mechanic. i'm just asking you guys for any faults or questions i should be asking this guy about for common issues in the motors?
thanks
kyle

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i called the guy after reading through the posts (thank u btw) and he has 230,000 km on it but hasn't had issues (ie the valve covers leaking). im just thinking whether the 4 bangers are good for those high milages cause on my sunfire once i hit 180,000 i ran into issues.
anyways thanks for the help guys and if u have any tips please feel free to post or pm just so i lower the chances of being surprised

·
Registered
837 Posts
well, i called the guy after reading through the posts (thank u btw) and he has 230,000 km on it but hasn't had issues (ie the valve covers leaking). im just thinking whether the 4 bangers are good for those high milages cause on my sunfire once i hit 180,000 i ran into issues.
anyways thanks for the help guys and if u have any tips please feel free to post or pm just so i lower the chances of being surprised
There are quite a few on CEG with zetec's over 200k, the consensus over there however is the pre98's (without vct) are "better" and last "longer"... but its all what you make of it. There are some significant differences in the pre98 vs post 98's which would make it worthwile to look into what year tour it is, and go from there.

edit: 200k miles lol ;)

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
i had 241K miles on my pre98 zetec before one of the springs in the original clutch finally let go. i could have left the engine but decided to rebuild one since i was going FI.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah it is a 99, i want to get the stats on when he last replace the waterpump, alt, etc becuase i know those accesories will be prone to go if they are at that high of milage. plus now my friend tells me she wont have the money for a month lol, so i dont know if the car will still be around then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.