New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on reducing the tremedous weight of my car, the back seats are coming out, fiberglass hood, and racing seats, what else can I do to lighten the car without having to cut in to the metal?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats about it, other thain taking out the radio. If you remove the spare tire, that will get you some extra. Why are you trying to reduce the weight? Also since you are removing the rear seats the actualy weight ratio of the car will get worse as most of the weight you are removing is in the back so as a minumum relocate the battery to the trunk to help slightly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do have a system, which compensates for the seat loss, but i am looking more for front end reductions.... to answer your ? this car is hella heavy and since the stock car only does 16 1/4 mile i want more acceleration.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Lighter wheels/tighters
Aftermarket fenders heh for a miniscule amount
Definately get racing seats up front and remove backseats all together
remove bumpers for some crazy weight, but would not be very safe.
Get a lightweight battery

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Theres a CF hatch with Lexan Glass floating around, too bad it's not in this country :(

Also, remove the seatbelt Brackets and Mechanisms for the rear seats.. they weigh a good 5+ pounds each

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
headers
those old exhaust manifolds weigh a ton
centerline rims one of lights rims I know of for our car

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
A carbon Fiber hood will weigh less than a fiberglass hood. Also fiberglass fenders are an option. Aftermarket Fiberglass Body Kit bumpers however DO NOT weigh less than stock OEM urathane. I have weighed them both.

Remove your spoiler, and get a custom side exit exhaust.

Pirelli P7000 Summers are the lightest tire on the market. I recommend you get them. They also provide great grip and performance.

Also certain Big Brake kits weigh less than stock. The Baer kit is not one of them.

I recommend to remove your seats entirely and replace them with racing seats. Have custom brackets made as the stock brackets are very heavy. My racing seats weigh only 15lbs with brackets, thats est. 40lbs less than stock!

Also as Ariadne said, remove the seat belt hardware front and rear. That means the belts, and the pully mechanism. Also the brackets, they are sealed on with lock tight. Normal tools will break if you try to force the bolts. You will need to use airtools to remove these componets.

The OEM door panels can be replace with Fiberglass Door Armor, which weigh less than stock and provide a show look while your at it.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
MIKE!!! You soooo should weigh that rear hatch while you have it removed from you car! (99CouGSweetRide)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I dont think thats from mikes car. His car is silver. But the stock hatch with glass weighs 142lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Thin gauge verticle auto glass cut to shap going verticle from the hatch opening down, then meeting a lightweight aluminum hatch would give the cougar an MR2'esq rear area and save a ton of weight.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
That hatch idea is sweet.

140lbs off the rear of the car would be great for drag racing but Not in the slightest for autocross/handling

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea somebody's selling that hatch on ebay..it's off a wrecked cougar. they're also sellin' the door panels if anyone's interested, WHICH by the way is also a pretty decent reduction in weight - taking the door panels off.

Mike

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I have weighed my car at 2680 lbs. Thats with no interior panels, no center console or abc pillars , both race seats w/harnesses, no rear seats or seat belts and a few other weight reduction goodies. That does include my ww kit, 19" rims, and dual exhaust.

I feel with that with lightweight 16" rims, no kit and a further weight reduction 25xxlbs is possible w/o cutting.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the help guys, the hatch comes out tommorrow:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
replace your battery with one like this

how much does the stock one weigh? certainly not 10lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
I have weighed my car at 2680 lbs. Thats with no interior panels, no center console or abc pillars , both race seats w/harnesses, no rear seats or seat belts and a few other weight reduction goodies. That does include my ww kit, 19" rims, and dual exhaust.

I feel with that with lightweight 16" rims, no kit and a further weight reduction 25xxlbs is possible w/o cutting.
What was the fuel level in the car? Water weighs about 5lbs per gallon as a reference point, I think gasoline weighs slightly less than water. However, since the washer fluid is water based and will hold a gallon, right there is another 5lbs ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts