New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with Tach

I'm installing an aftermarket tach, but I don't know which wire is the tachometer lead behind the gauges. Can someone help me that installed one before.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
check this out...right here

see green rpm signal pin-48. thats where you have to tap into. drill a hole right next to the pcm on the driver side, perfect spot to run wires (or a wire in your case).

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I did it a different way. I connected the wire to the back of the cluster panel. The lead to the tach is a really white wire with a black stripe located in the left connector that plugs into the back of the cluster. I said really white since there is another white/black wire on the same connector. I'm not sure if this is the correct way, but it seems to be working.

For some reason though, my tach is not aligning with the stock tach. My car idles at 900 rpms, but the aftermarket tach shows 1100-1500. The difference increases as my rpm's increases also. At 3k the tach is showing 5k. I am assuming that the tach is set wrong. It has 8/6/4 cyl settings. I plan on checking it out tommorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.