New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if a 225/50/16 size tire would work on the stock 16's?? Or would that tire be too wide?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You should find info on the particular tire your looking at. Generally, you can find approved rim widths on the tire manufacturer website. I had 225's on my stock 16's and they were way to big. So much so, that the car would bounce as if the struts were worn. When I got the new wheels, all that bouncing disappeared.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Depends on the brand because there is some variation in sizing between companies..
I've run 225 kumho's and had no issues.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
In spite of the fact I had to shop around for a place that would agree to mount the tires, 225s handled fine for me even under extreme conditions. i dunno about the handling issue, tho. I cant see how having a slightly taller/wider tire would make a car handle like the struts were going bad, thats a pretty not tire related sensation. The only problem I had with my 225's is that they were visibly a taller tire, looked kinda 'truckish'.

Either way, Kumho's come in 215/50's now. (stock size)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Originally posted by: Neil
I cant see how having a slightly taller/wider tire would make a car handle like the struts were going bad, thats a pretty not tire related sensation.
I'm sure most people will be fine with 225's, but in my case, the tires were like baloons. The side wall of the tire sat at an angle to the ground, and allowed a lot of play. The ride was very sloppy, and bouncy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts