New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem here...there is a short somewhere in my radio system. Everytime a put a new fuse in the fuse box, it blows!!! As soon as it put it in it is gone. How do I find out where the problem is??? What should I look for??? What would be some tell-tell signs of where the short would be. I have completely unhooked my sub and amp from the radio and I am still having problems and I am using the right fuses. Any thoughts would be appreciated!?!?!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
with that said all i can say is check your grounds..is your power for your amp wired to your fuse box??i was constantly blowing fuses when my power wire was run under the corner of the rear folding seats..folding up and down cut into the wire and was shorting out...if you have an after market deck just pull it out and double check all your conections..where did you do your chasis ground for your deck??

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
do u have aftermarket speakers? If so, or even if not for that matter, check them, because their wires could be getting pinched by some of the panels. happened to me and shorted out my entire system. I would just check the way you had the amp wired to the stock radio, it can't be anything with the grounding for the radio cuz I'm assuming you didn't have to touch that.

Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!!! This weekend I am going to have some time so I am going to check all of the wiring on the back of the radio and then the speakers too!!! Thanks again

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In order not to make a new thread, I am going to add on to this one seeing as it pertains to the subject. I finally got around to checking my radio and speaker wiring. I unhooked my amp and sub completely from the system and I am still getting the short. I then proceeded to unhook the set of harnesses from the back of the radio to determine if I could narrow down the problem. The short is coming from the large black wiring harness. Looking at my back speakers, the are gray and white and gray w/ white stripe and white w/ purple stripe. Looking at the harnesses, these wires do not run into the big black harness, the run to the white harness. So my question is which wires are running to the black harness??? I looked for a wiring identification thread, but couldn't find one. Are these wires for the front speakers??? Note: I have the AM/FM radio with the single CD player. How would I know if the problem was with the deck itself and not the wiring??? My front left speaker is blown, could this be a cause to my problem??? Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.