New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got there APC washer lights...can someone help me?

Question #1) How do I get the stock ones off without harming anything?

Question #2) Where is a good place to tap into power and ground in the area?

Question #3) If anyone else has done this mod, is there anything I should be careful of/know about?

Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
the old ones just pop out, look underneath the hood and squeeze them and push up.

but one thing you might wanna consider is getting arrested and thrown in jail with those ;) old story

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha what? realize that I would strictly use them either parked or off-road (parking w/ my g/f)...is there a story you could share or what?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I amost forgot about that...thanks.

I wish I knew how to install a switch...I've tried to have ya'll explain it to me, but it just seems too hard.

Guess I"ll just have to have a friend do this mod for me :( ...**** I wish I could do this my damn self!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I wish I knew how to install a switch...I've tried to have ya'll explain it to me, but it just seems too hard.

Guess I"ll just have to have a friend do this mod for me :( ...**** I wish I could do this my damn self!
:crazy:

find a +12V wire under the dash (either constant or ignition switched, look either at steering column or headlight switch), run it out to the hood, red to 12V+ with switch, blacks to ground, hood on passenger side has a stud

neon howto

how to take dash apart

that is everything you need to know. now go do it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Switches are easy once you do one, then you can add them to anything. Buy a 3-prong switch from walmart, pepboys, etc. You need to find a power source for them, I guess you could just go directly to the battery to make things easy, but really you don't need to run a power wire under the hood where the lights are, but rather find a source close to the switch inside the car. Anyway, to install any switch, here is what you do.

The lights, neons, whatever you're putting the switch inline with will have two connections, a power and a ground. Find a piece of metal and ground the negative from the light (use a piece of black wire, makes it easy). Then run a piece of red wire from the power connection on the light to the accessory power prong on the switch (usually the prong in the middle of the switch). Find a place to mount the switch on your dash, and run a ground from the negative prong on the switch to a piece of metal near where the switch is mounted to. Lastly the 12V power prong needs to be run to a power source. This is why I said you don't need a power source under the hood, the lights themselves aren't getting power directly, but rather the switch. You can tap into any power wire or any fuse in the fuse box under the steering column (the cigarette lighter is good).

The only other detail is that since you'll have two lights on one switch, coil the two grounds and the two powers from the lights together. That's pretty much it.

G

·
I had these on one day going through town and a cop was in front of me and he pulled over to the side and waited for me to go by. I knew he was gonna be me for them so I turned them off. He followed me really close for about a mile and hit the lights. My lights are red by the way. He got out of his cruiser and hes like license and registration. I said may I ask what the problem is? He again said license and registration. After looking at everything he said do you know why I pulled you over? I said I am assuming for the lights on my hood. He said yup. to make a long story short he video taped me while i was sitting in the car and he gave me a warning and next time he sees me with them on its a $1000 fine. I would suggest not driving around with these on whatsoever. Only while you are parked you can have as many lights on as you want.

Now a question. Is it legal to have interior lighting on inside such as neons and led's?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: 1fstcoug

Now a question. Is it legal to have interior lighting on inside such as neons and led's?
i was told by a state trooper that you could as long as the lights are not visible from the front of the car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.