New Cougar Forum banner

Help with calipers

330 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  1999mercv6
I'm in desperate need of new calipers but can't afford Cougar specific ones, anybody know if there's another car that I should be able to order calipers for that's significantly cheaper? I have the 16 inch wheels if that helps or makes a difference
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Ebay goes for 30 to 40 each caliper for the fronts as well on rockauto. Rear calipers are slightly more expensive at 50 to 70
Rear brake caliper are more than I had thought so they are more like 80 to 100
Rear brake caliper are more than I had thought so they are more like 80 to 100
Yeah that's my issue, way too much money for me lol
The front can easily be rebuilt though and much cheaper for those calipers. Rear calipers are better to just get the whole thing and the centric are the best.
The front can easily be rebuilt though and much cheaper for those calipers. Rear calipers are better to just get the whole thing and the centric are the best.
There isn't another car with the same calipers as the Cougar though?
The ford contour has them uh possibly the mercury Sable and mystique because most parts are interchangeable but don't quote me on that. Best thing to do is look for the part number on the caliper and search on ebay. That's what I do and usually never let's me down with finding something I needed.
What is you year and specific engine and trans so I can do some quick research foe you
What is you year and specific engine and trans so I can do some quick research foe you
2002 with the V6 and automatic
The ford contour has them uh possibly the mercury Sable and mystique because most parts are interchangeable but don't quote me on that. Best thing to do is look for the part number on the caliper and search on ebay. That's what I do and usually never let's me down with finding something I needed.

Not Sable.
Contour and Mystique.

Post on the New Edge Cougar Owners facebook page. Also a Contour page or two. Those are often better for finding parts because more people see them. Somebody probably has a bucket full of them they could help you out from. Come here for knowledge, Facebook for parts.
But a rebuild kit for the rears would be the cheapest unless you get something used but with that the seals are iffy. The front are only 33 for 1 on ebay.
Rock Auto has the fronts on closeout for $18 each right now - https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1363968&m=wc&l=en&html=true
Those are priced like that without the bracket so you'd have to remove your old bracket clean it up and install it on the new caliper.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts