New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1999 Cougar and I bought it used. I didn't know it had a couple of features that it did and now I think I got to excited about it. The reason I say that is cause I went and bought a remote for an alarm and I don't think it has one anymore. I don't know whether or not it needs to be programmed or there just isn't one. Is there anyway to find out if the car is equipped with an alarm? When the trunk is opened with the key a siren goes off but does that mean that there is a remote to turn it off or is it just the key alone? Please help I spent about 60 bucks on this little remote and it doesn't even do anything so could someone please help?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a PROBLEM...

I'm sure that the remote can be programmed. Even if the alarm isn't fully functional then maybe your car has keyless entry, whereupon you could probably still use that remote you bought. It's a shame you paid that much, Ebay sells them for like $10 for our cars all the time.
Ask the dealer to run the VIN and see what all the features are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid 60 bucks for remote and today when I pick it up they'll probably
charge me an hourly rate for programming... (can dollars)

·
Registered
719 Posts
VJ I'm a custom car audio Install
goto a good shop and have them find the brain of the alarm
and tell you what kind it is then find a sell of that alarm
and get you the right remote for the alarm ther are lots
of alarms that have simler remotes and my not be the one for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
if its the factory alarm all you have to do is sit inside your car until the alarm is activated, grab your new remote and hit the lock button, keep it pressed all thru the process. turn your car all the way w/o cranking it up and back to off a total of 7 times leaving the key on the last position before start for 2 or 3 secs and pressing the lock button the whole time. and there goes your new remote. hit unlock and lock and you should be good to go.

have fun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts