New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally aquired the funds to begin modification to my cougar. I have a 2002 35th Anniv. MTX v-6 (2.5/DOHC Duratec). within the past month I've put in a Weapons R trio kit (intake, ram air kit, cold air box) all from CustomCougars.com, and a custom dual exhaust (Y-pipe). next I plan to put on a Supercharger and install a new chip, but after that I am not sure what to do next. I want to optimize my performance to the max, and I know there are steps to doing this, but I don't know what they are. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:biggrin:Text

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
suspension mods, and lots of them. gotta keep the power planted on the ground.

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah suspension mods kick ass. Get the right combination and youll love driving your car everyday! Ive personally got the Ground Controls with, Freedom Designs Front Strut bar, ST200 Rear Strut bar, and I love the handling. Im still not done , I want to add rear sway bars, etc. Be prepared to be broke :( lol

·
0 Posts
Sell your cold air box and ram air and get a true CAI system extension for your short ram from either DgnzCoug or GrandMasterKhan, They both offer similar kits at competitive prices.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! hmmmm, maybe I'll need a lil help w/ that-exhaust is somethin i DON'T know *blush*

·
Registered
674 Posts
After you buy a supercharger don't buy a chip. Vortech already comes with a chip this is specific to your car. Good luck finding a kit now that they are discontinued.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I also recommend some suspension upgrades. You'll be most pleased with those.

A supercharger or the StreetFlight turbo will run you 4k-5k not including install. But that doenst include any tranny upgrades. Either way your lookin at 240fwhp or more.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Vortec kit is no longer available... it was a $4k kit and you had to put another $1500 into it to make it reliable anyway. It didnt even come with an intercooler.

First get Eibach springs and KYB struts... then solidify your motor mounts. If youre comfy spending the amount of cash for a SC, you can save some money and get a $700 set of slightly hotter cams, headers, Y-pipe, full 2.5" exhaust, SVT TB, 3.0 UIM, a 50 shot of Zex and a chip to tune it all and youll be pretty damn quick. With the cams in development now its expected to easily see 250whp including the bolt ons i just mentioned, without the Zex.

edit: & yea. do yourself the favor and ditch the Weapon Rice filter and "cold air" box. Get GMK's CAI and a K&N filter and be a lot happier.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Let me save you some hassle and disappointment. While eibach springs (like H&R, or the BAT Euro Handling springs) are great, KYB struts are standard-grade stuff that is typically meant to replace worn out stock struts, with similar-spec struts. For certain, if you install springs with a high spring rate (like the Eibach's, or even more so, the H&R's), you will absolutely need better struts than KYB. If they can actually dampen the kind of bounce those springs will deliver (which is doubtful), they will certainly not last long while doing so.

Another member on here bought KYB's and was very disappointed. Shops will tell you the same thing. Myself, I went with the BAT matched euro handling kit. DEFINITELY, I love it. That, plus my lightweight 17" alloys and Nitto NeoGen tires... wow. Super-sticky ride! My car is amazing through the corners! It's amazing to watch passengers yell "SLOW DOWN!" when you're heading into a corner! :biggrin:

Massiv.

·
Registered
722 Posts
KYB struts are standard-grade stuff that is typically meant to replace worn out stock struts, with similar-spec struts.

Another member on here bought KYB's and was very disappointed. Shops will tell you the same thing.

I could not disagree with this person more. I bought roush springs and kyb struts and the ride is incredible. I know of another member who has the same kit on their car and they love the ride of their car as well. The struts are smooth and with the roush springs (which i know they no longer sell). I have found that they combine to make a very smooth yet sporty ride. I have had them on my car since early on in the year and i have nothing to complain about. I agree that if you install more intense springs you will need a better stronger strut. It all depends on ride height in my opinion. If you want a real low ride height your gonna spend more money. If you want only a little change in ride height their are other alternatitives.....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Neil
get a $700 set of slightly hotter cams, headers, Y-pipe, full 2.5" exhaust, SVT TB, 3.0 UIM, a 50 shot of Zex and a chip to tune it all and youll be pretty damn quick. With the cams in development now its expected to easily see 250whp including the bolt ons i just mentioned, without the Zex.

Could you point me in the direction of these cams that easily give you 100HP with bolt ons? Certainly it has to be something different than the SVT cams?
:shrug:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar

Could you point me in the direction of these cams that easily give you 100HP with bolt ons? Certainly it has to be something different than the SVT cams?
:shrug:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=perf&Number=455821&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

and quaife? ...for a daily driver? not for me... maybe After 230+whp.
Thanks for the link. 35% power gain at higher rpms... That's pretty impressive! Looks like I need to start saving!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar

and quaife? ...for a daily driver? not for me... maybe After 230+whp.
What's that mean?? The quaife will save you a lot of money in the long run. People have blown their stock diffs on wet ground launches. A quaife will give you better overall traction ability, especially when pulling out of turns and on launches. And it won't break as easily as a stocker.

It won't effect the driveability of the car...if anything it'll make it better.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It just means that I'd like to be at the 200+whp mark before I start thinking about spending $ on traction again, thats all. but then again this isnt about me. ill shut up.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I saw your link for the hotter cams, but which ones do you get if you want to retain street drivability? How much are they? And are they any different than the SVT cams?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the intro set of cat cams is slightly hotter than the svt's, with more lift and duration. i want a set of 'stage 2's but theyre like $1100. Definatly worth it, but not many have the money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts