New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been TOLD that there is a tag on the top of my trans, whichi found, with a serial number, which i found, and that there is a special code after the serial number starting or ending with diffeent combinations such as "ab, ba, a, b, blah blah blah.. NOW, my question is, this parts guy i deal with, told me that i HAD TO BUY A TRANS WITH THE SAME EXACT CODE in order for it to work correctly.. and truth to that? andbody that KNOWS for SURE about this type of thing want to put it to rest???? PLEASE, im desperatley searching for a atx out of a 99 2.5 and cant find one, because ive bne told this. and cant find another trans under $600 with ym same code..

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Haven't heard of any type of "code" that you need to make it work, but you'd better be sure to get an ATX from a '99 Cougar or Contour. There are differences in the wiring for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) from the '99 to the '00. They are not interchangable. Found that out the hard way attempting to put a '99 in an '00 Cougar for one of our members. No workie!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the other hand, i put a 01 cougar tranny in my 97 contour. i bought the new style VSS and just used it to plug up the hole. my old VSS fit right in when i removed the little cover plate.

i did have to use a 01+ cougar flywheel, i learned that the hard way, after having to pull the engine to swap flywheels :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts