New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I have actually blown out my transmission 3 different times now. The first one was at 30K, replaced under warranty. The second one was replaced at 35K, and it turned out to be dealer fault. The mechanic sucked and didnt know what he was doing. The third one just went out not too long ago.

This time, i am going to pay out of pocket to replace the tranny. I have found one for a good price with very low miles on it. Now, there is a ID for the tranny. I have an 01 Cougar. Without knowing my tranny id, would i be able to order a 2002 tranny, and have it mate properly without any problems? If the tranny id's are different, will it still work?

The two tranny ID's are ID 1S8R-DB andID 1S8R-DC from a 2002. The tranny ID's avaliable for a 2001 are ID 1S8R-DA, ID 1S8R-DB, and ID 1S8R-DC.

Anyone know the difference?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first time, the differential shattered. The second time, the synchros were dead, and this time, i lost all lower gears(2,4,R). Not sure of the problem this time, so i am going to replace the tranny, and then open up this crapped tranny and see what the deal is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts