New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i tryed and tryed with the coathanger and with the tool and my stereo still wont come out, im guessing the brackets are broke on it. So how the heck can i get it out , i took off most of the under dash and i can see the back and the side of it but what do i do now? im stuck and so is it. thanks for any help. will

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if you don't apply pressure to top and bottom evenly you could break the clips inside. If the are broken I don't know how to get it out. Sorry man. Good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a heck of time getting mine out initially, I was sure the darn thing was glued in or something. Even when I had the radio pullers it was difficult. Its all about putting pressure on the right points. Don't stick them in too far, it won't do any good. You probably have not broken the clips yet, I put mine through a lot and they are still intact, so don't despair. If you have a Wal-Mart in the area go get the pullers, its a little easier with them, though still tricky. Keep at it, testing different depths and eventually you'll get it, if not bring it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Yeah I doubt your clips are broken.... just insert the "U"'s until you head them all click... then take the handles and slightly push them away from one another and pull... It took me like 1 hour to remove my CD player the first time.. I've now taken apart my dash 5 times and I can get it in a few seconds... I think the clips are just really stiff and need to be broken in a bit... but if the coathangers are not working - go buy the tool, its definately worth it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thing is ive already took it to the dealer and they cant even get it out with their tool, so i guess um screwed. i thought i heard someone saying they got theres out from behind?

·
Registered
430 Posts
now what i did isnt the smartest but it worked, this will only work if you dont care about that crappy factory radio and you dont want to sell it or something. After trying for quite some time with the pullers i gace up and busted out the door panel remover tool, basically just to vice of the front of the radio. after i ripped the face out, so basically i just broke of the plastic clips that connect to the metal, then it just came right out no problem. Like i said i dont recommend this way, but if you have no patience like me and dont care about it, just yank the cover off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.