New Cougar Forum banner

Help!!!!! Random mods in my coug lol

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Beans 
#1 ·
Hey I just bought a mercury and have no idea what mods if got in it Ik that my intake is aftermarket and the guy I bought it off of didn't say much other then that it has a "mod 3 engine upgrade" can't find anything on the internet that talks about this.... under my steering wheel I have 2 rand small medal switches not sure what they do and it also seems to have a wired looking conversion kit in the engine. If anyone could point me in a direction or have any idea what these things are it would be greatly appreciated!!

#7 ·
I believe that's an AEM short ram intake kit - a good start to a full cold-air kit, but not as good as a Stock intake tract yet - our stock airbox draws cool air from the fender, so drawing hot air from the engine bay isn't always better. I'd say those 'enlight' boxes (one on each side) are bits related to a xenon or LED kit - which isn't too bad since these cars are the right kind of headlight for those (projector-type headlights, not reflectors). that metal line near your passenger side motor mount bracket looks recent - good, since it's a pain to reinstall without having it leak.. so someone went through that trouble for you. your ignition wires look recent, which is also good, but they're not particularly a performance part - but at least they look new-ish.

I have no idea,nor can anyone else here really tell you what those switches are. you'll have to flip them and take a look around the car, or trace the wiring. if I were to take a wild guess, I'd say they could be a fuel pump cutoff switch, a starter cutoff switch,some sort of manual IMRC override, or an exhaust cut-out but that last one is not at all likely - he'd have mentionned it as a selling point for sure; those are cool. I will say that that is most certainly a DIY job, though - no shop would use those red connectors; seeing that, you can expect they're cut-off switches. if you flip one at a time, then try to start the car, good odds at least one will make the car not start. handy if in a sketchy neighborhood.

you are missing the 'DURATEC 2.5' cover that goes over the IMRC - not really a bad thing, since the IMRC box likes to overheat with that cover on anyway.

your battery terminals have both been replaced I think - it may be a sign that someone seems to have taken care of this car;the power steering this is another good sign.

your upper intake look stock. SVT ones are painted / powdercoated black. sorry - no performance parts there.

since it's a 99, you may have a return fuel model - some like that fact, some don't. I like dat.

there's also something I don't recognize that isn't stock near your brake booster and fluid reservoir. looks circular, and plastic. I circled it in red. I'm not sure what it is - some type of horn, maybe? might be related to your switches.

welcome to the club! looks like a good car from what I can see. Good buy, congratulations. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Reactions: Blackedoutcoug
#8 ·
I believe that's an AEM short ram intake kit - a good start to a full cold-air kit, but not as good as a Stock intake tract yet - our stock airbox draws cool air from the fender, so drawing hot air from the engine bay isn't always better. I'd say those 'enlight' boxes (one on each side) are bits related to a xenon or LED kit - which isn't too bad since these cars are the right kind of headlight for those (projector-type headlights, not reflectors). that metal line near your passenger side motor mount bracket looks recent - good, since it's a pain to reinstall without having it leak.. so someone went through that trouble for you. your ignition wires look recent, which is also good, but they're not particularly a performance part - but at least they look new-ish.

I have no idea,nor can anyone else here really tell you what those switches are. you'll have to flip them and take a look around the car, or trace the wiring. if I were to take a wild guess, I'd say they could be a fuel pump cutoff switch, a starter cutoff switch,some sort of manual IMRC override, or an exhaust cut-out but that last one is not at all likely - he'd have mentionned it as a selling point for sure; those are cool. I will say that that is most certainly a DIY job, though - no shop would use those red connectors; seeing that, you can expect they're cut-off switches. if you flip one at a time, then try to start the car, good odds at least one will make the car not start. handy if in a sketchy neighborhood.

you are missing the 'DURATEC 2.5' cover that goes over the IMRC - not really a bad thing, since the IMRC box likes to overheat with that cover on anyway.

your battery terminals have both been replaced I think - it may be a sign that someone seems to have taken care of this car;the power steering this is another good sign.

your upper intake look stock. SVT ones are painted / powdercoated black. sorry - no performance parts there.

since it's a 99, you may have a return fuel model - some like that fact, some don't. I like dat.

there's also something I don't recognize that isn't stock near your brake booster and fluid reservoir. looks circular, and plastic. I circled it in red. I'm not sure what it is - some type of horn, maybe? might be related to your switches.

welcome to the club! looks like a good car from what I can see. Good buy, congratulations. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

View attachment 80678
Thank you for your in-depth reply! Really helps out as I don't know a lot about cars but you have gave me a lot of info to search about and I'm excited to learn about this coug! The electronics seem a bit scattered in this car, my speedometer doesn't work nor the digital one but everything else to do with it does.... it also sometimes don't start unless I click the unlock button then fires up right away. I believe I got a steal on this car $1900cad guy had to get rid of it due to no space for the thing, had just got the car and was told he couldn't store it at his friends anymore so made a choice between bwm540i and this car said he dropped the price from $2800, that was his "story" about it anyways, hopefully I injoy it too! Lol from what you said things are looking up but who's knows. Hopping these switches can teleport the car back in time or maybe make it fly 🤣

#15 ·
There should be a rubber grommet that holds it in there, but mine disintegrated. I just wrapped a few turns of black electrical tape around the base of the sensor and it stays in there for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.