New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys please dont be mean to me, im a girl and i need directions to get the rear struts off my 99 cougar.. i have done struts before but i cant get the bottom bolt to break lose. im scared of breaking something. and i have nobody to help me do it, and i cant find a garage with any open spots for months around here.. can anyone tell me how to go about this??? im not retarded i just need some advice please,.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
First, pull off the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor, if you have disc brakes. The bottom pinch bolt is big...like 18mm maybe? After you remove that, you'll need to hammer the spindle down off the strut.

To get the top out, you have to go up from the bottom with a long extension, and there are two 10mm bolts.

It's been awhile since I've pulled the rear, but I think that's it. The bolts are likely to be quite tight...try using some PB blaster to loosen things up.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
You're from Westfield, holy ****. I didn't even know they had the internet there :rofl:

Another thing, when reassembling, it can be tricky to get the spindle back up over the strut. PB blaster will probably be your friend again here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea we dont have much here. im suprised you even have heard of it lol. but again thanks i hope it works cuase im tired of messin with this car lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're from Westfield, holy ****. I didn't even know they had the internet there :rofl:

Another thing, when reassembling, it can be tricky to get the spindle back up over the strut. PB blaster will probably be your friend again here.
Hi xxnotyourstarxx ,I replied to your post on the thread I started about changing struts,but yeah what we did to get the spindle back over the bottom of the strut was use a another jack (we used a floor jack) under the spindle and slowly jack it up while aligning the strut into the spindle,then tap on the spindle and the strut will work its way into the spindle ,just keep tapping it until the pinch bolt holes lines up .Oh and there is no reason to remove the brake caliper

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Thanks for posting about that caliper, sman...I couldn't remember if it had to come off or not. Been awhile since I've torn the rears apart.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for posting about that caliper, sman...I couldn't remember if it had to come off or not. Been awhile since I've torn the rears apart.
No problem ,its still fresh on my mind ,my struts in my 99 were original ,and I was amazed how easy they came out ,even considering it is driven in the NY winters here with plenty of sand/salt ,but she has always been kept clean so that had to help.

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
uh oh...Another that speaks "Wade"....

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
:ugh: no comment...

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
*licks lips* You wanna try a second pull on the slots my friend..:evil:

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
so back on topic, (damn super mods abusing powers and hi jacking threads lol)

if the bolt your having issue with is the same i did, its the large pinch bolt on the back of the hub. Best advise 3 things, pb plaster multiple times over a night so it can soak. Then heat it up too to help it loosen up. I went at it with an impact gun for a bit, wouldn't come loose and finally used my nice big tq wrench to get some nice leverage. she finally came off.

when we were doing my suspension, the rears had trouble sliping back into the hubs. Mark opened them up with a chisel and hammer.

hope that helps. The car isn't too hard to work on at times, but when its 10 years old rust can get in the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts