New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help on Removing ATX Shift Handle

OK, I have read numerous posts on how to remove my center console, and I have a pretty good idea how to do it. The only thing stopping me is the shift plate held in place by the shift handle. I removed the hex screw on the side of it by the OD button (size is 3/32 for anyone looking to do the same), but I don't know if I should just pull it straight up, or twist to the left or right while pulling, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my '00 center console creaks around the painted part (under the e-brake) at the slightest bump, like a loud creaking door. It so annoying I am ripping the whole thing out to pinpoint the problem and dynamat it or something.

The How to really helped. Turned out there is a yello plastic hook that is part of the ATX and it attaches to the console right after the shifter. It is directly under the shift plate, under the 1st gear setting. It was rubbing against the console and makeing a horrid creaking sound. Just broke is off and the sound stopped. Changed out the 194 bulb in the shifter to blue also, so no more creak and a new look! Thanks for all your help, and I did it without trashing the OD button.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

i believe its a matter of pulling the shifter up. just have to pull hard. its why the overdrive button gets trashed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Anyway to avoid trashing the button? Maybe by cutting the wire before hand somewhere, so it can be spliced back together later?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Carefully remove the handle and just cut off the wire, then yes, resplice it and add a some extra wire to help to get it all back into handle stem... just make sure the wire doesnt get caught in shifter track..your creaking sound might be the 2 plastic yellowish colored prongs which lay up under the center console right after the shifter, I busted them off and no more creaking, they did have sticky velvet like material on them to deaden the sound, but I just ripped them out, did this about 8 months ago, no rattle or anything and im pretty rough on the cougar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The trick is removing the handle carefully, it's on there tight. I'll look for those two prongs, did they support anything? Thanks for the info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do you really have to drill out the rivet? I just took mine out with a hex screw key, is that enough?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts