New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is kind of a post for me and my buddy. I am the one with the Cougar. He recently purchases a slightly used Ford Ranger Edge. The dealer gave him two keys for the truck. However, one only opens and unlocks everything. It doesn't actually start the car. The Ford dealer he purchased it from said they would "activate" the key for $100.

I understand most of the newer cars are similar. Does anyone know how he can get around this and do it himself? Is is the same way as you would do the cougar? How's that?

Thanks alot to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The key to start the vehicle is ''coded'' maybe thats what he means by activate i dunno, but i do know they dont cost $100 , more like $ 25 maybe .....try another dealer and get a price on the coded key, then compare.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Depending on the year Ranger, he needs to do this. With only one working (programmed) key, he needs to have a dealership hook up the car to the computer and program the new key. See if you have two working keys, you can program a new one in a matter of seconds, but with only one working key..he needs the dealer to do it.

$100 is a little high, but most shops charge one labor hour. You should be able to find a dealer who will do it for around $50 or so. If he bought the car at a Ford dealer, go there and complain that one of the keys is not programmed....they should do it for free.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I am going to make him try that approach. Originally, they even said they would do it for free. Turds!

Out of curiousity, how do you do it with 2 keys for the third? I've never heard of this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You could buy the device which programs the key....it's only around 1,000 dollars. They just plug it in your OBD2 port and send a code to the computer, then turn on and turn off the car I think 3 times. Finally they put the key in a paper bag and swing it around their head 3 times........Ok so I do not remember the exact procedure but it takes about 15 minutes to do.....if you get a good enough hardware store/lock shop they can do it. The True Value hardware right by me will do it, same with Mr. Lock.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts