New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a how-to on...well... how to install a water temp gauge, I may be getting a good deal on one in the next few days and wanna know if it is easy to install.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Your guages should come with instructions, but do a search. It's not difficult, but all about getting the feed from the guage into the correct pin on your ECU. Then it's just power and ground.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
A water temp gauge will probably come with a sender, so you'll be best off reading the instructions that come with it... I don't believe there is a pinout on the ECU that has that information available in a format that would work with the gauge.

G

·
what about engine temp or oil temp? do those have a wire we can tap into? I have two temp gauges not doing anything at home....

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
what about engine temp or oil temp? do those have a wire we can tap into? I have two temp gauges not doing anything at home....
I'm not sure about oil temperature (probably has one with a sender somewhere) but engine temp/coolant temp is definitely available. It's an ODBII parameter, and it feeds the dashboard, so the wiring should be readily available.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: SubNoiseRat
how easy is a volt meter to hook up?
Just tap it to your ignition wire, or to the radio power line, or to the cigarette lighter... basically any 12v source in the car that doesn't see a serious drop in power due to drain by a device. Then ground the other wire to a ground point.

G

·
Your "water temp" gauge and the "engine temp" gauge are the same thing. It's easy. The sender is located directly underneat the air intake on the upper manifold. I just ran a new wire directly from there to my Dakota Digital gauge cluster brain.

There isn't an "oil temp" sensor on the Cougar, as far as I know. I don't recall seeing oil temperature gauges except on diesels or trucks that have towing packages where an oil cooler has been fitted, typically with a manual transmission. However, there is an oil pressure sender located on the front of the engine, below the front valve cover. I ran a new wire from the new oil pressure sender that I had a mechanic install to the Dakota Digital gauge cluster brain and it works great. The sender can be difficult to install if you don't have a way to work from underneath the car.

A "volt meter" is the easiest gauge in the entire car to hook up. As Jason points out, tap into the cigarette lighter for the safest place to get the voltage reading without worrying about taking out an essential system if you screw it up.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Has anyone checked to see weather or not the stock temp sender hooked up to an aftermarket gauge reads the proper temperature? The gauge SubNoiseRat mentioned has no sender.

G

·
Neil -- in answer to your question:

Your "water temp" gauge and the "engine temp" gauge are the same thing. It's easy. The sender is located directly underneat the air intake on the upper manifold. I just ran a new wire directly from there to my Dakota Digital gauge cluster brain.
My entire gauge cluster is aftermarket, from Dakota Digital. The water temperature sender is still the factory piece. It works perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts